This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The Official Stupid Question

Started by Riku Calderón, February 8, 2013 · 15 Replies · 884 Views

Riku Calderón

Why are the movement gategories in the book in different order than in the routine?

Somalie

Yah... I wonder the same thing.

Patrick Smith

I don't know, but it shouldn't matter to anyone. The elements in the routines can be performed in any order. :)

Keilani Gutierrez

not a stupid question, at all. only a very good question coming from someone who has inexperience in putting together the puzzle pieces that Coach Sommer and his team have become experts in. experts to the degree of creating olympic athletes, mind us. xD
 

think of it like a puzzle. 

only this puzzle is multidimensional in the sense that not only strength is the goal but also a given range of movement within that strength element. some target small areas, others target large areas, others focus on targeting areas in movement, others you do holds, then you do reps of those holds. these are the bricks that are being laid so that other more heavier and sturdier elements can be used to make a castle. you gotta work with mud first, but your goal is the castle.

now imagine that to get to one skill to another, there's exercises that are easier to dominate that can help you in building a foundation to create more strength to later work on those elements.

 

kind of like pushups. one moment you're doing incline pushups, but incline pushups are leading you towards a Hollow Back Press. 

 

one moment your workout lasts 15 minutes and you're left thinking "wow, that was challenging, but not something impossible, i feel energized and great" to then a workout including some of the hardest moves being done in the traditional fitness world..and even then, you're still considered a beginner in Gymnastic Strength Training™. 

pretty wild, huh? 

 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can do hanging leg raises at 24 and that by the time I'm going to be 28-30, i'll be doing Manna's, Handstand Pushups and Basic Ring Elements. Follow the directions, the results of the athletes that Coach has raised and the people he's worked with throughout the years more than earn a "stamp" of approval of any sort. 

assuming that anyone is ever challenged enough that they can't make the program work(which is beyond any of us, because he's always available to give you his expert advice along with a community of people who are ready to help you with the level of knowledge that they've accumulated so far, he'll give you a 100% money back guarantee for the programs you purchase.

 

who could ask for me? for real.

Klaudius Petrulis
KeilaniG said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can do hanging leg raises at 24 and that by the time I'm going to be 28-30, i'll be doing Manna's, Handstand Pushups and Basic Ring Elements.

I think with the way F1 looks, you'll probably be able to pull off decent versions of these sooner rather than later, but you're right, much time is required for a good foundation.

 

Keilani Gutierrez
Klaudius Petrulis said:

I think with the way F1 looks, you'll probably be able to pull off decent versions of these sooner rather than later, but you're right, much time is required for a good foundation.

 

probably not as much as we think, I need to learn how to decide how to progress to what stage in a cycle. cause i can do hanging leg raises but i can't do hollow body rocks for reps. i know once that base is set, the rest will be a piece of cake. just got to be patient to not develop any injuries

Klaudius Petrulis

Yeah, I'm going to be following the programming that has been laid out pretty religiously. Starting at the beginning I can already see a few of my weaknesses, can't wait for week 11 :P

Keilani Gutierrez
Klaudius Petrulis said:

Yeah, I'm going to be following the programming that has been laid out pretty religiously. Starting at the beginning I can already see a few of my weaknesses, can't wait for week 11 :P

I recommend going multidimensional during our training. in the sense of while you're improving your GST, also make small powerful changes in your nutrition, sleep, breathing. this has helped me get from being more battered than charlie sheens exwives to a battered exwive with some dignity to him. hypertrophy is getting more dense instead of massive, mobility is improving at lightning speed and even my recovery is getting better. idk if its improving my sleep schedule and making a change towards a more paleolithic diet but a few changes have made extremely noticeable results.

Klaudius Petrulis

Oh my diet is the one constant in my life. It is quite flawless. Everything else needs work though. I mean, I should have been in bed 3 hours ago, but here I am typing away. Breathing is one thing I forget about often. Thanks for reminding me! (Btw, I'm Paleo for 2+ years now. Huge change in body comp)

FredInChina
Klaudius Petrulis said:

 (...) Breathing is one thing I forget about often (...)

 

ROFL! :D

Arto

.

Keilani Gutierrez

really? what has been the difference for you?

Klaudius Petrulis

Guys, it may seem funny, but sometimes when I'm doing something intense enough I forget to breathe until the movement is over! It's not pleasant to say the least lol.

 

I just feel better. It's like running a car on premium gas as opposed to watered down gas with dirt in it. I also lost a bunch of bodyfat without really trying. Now if I could only gain some more muscle..

FredInChina
Arto Ratilainen said:

It's a serious issue. People die when they don't breath.

Not really so serious; it is more like "people don't breath when they are dead!" - in fact, you would be hard put to voluntarily pass out just holding your breath (don't do it in water, do it in an armchair if you have to test it!)

There is a very powerful reflex that will make most adults breath before they pass out - some kids can hold their breath until they actually pass out, but very few adults can overcome this reflex.

 

 

Klaudius Petrulis said:

Guys, it may seem funny, but sometimes when I'm doing something intense enough I forget to breathe until the movement is over! It's not pleasant to say the least lol (...)

 

Yes, it happens often when learning a new movement pattern; there are so many simultaneous things to deal with that the brain is overwhelmed and you end up holding your breath... until you can't hold it any longer... I see this very often in martial arts; it happens to me & it happens to everyone. It doesn't help performance! Simply cueing the student helps a lot.

In fact, controling the breathing, then mastering the breathing is a very good sign of progress in an exercise.

 

I trust that mastery levels will require a correct breathing control and pattern during execution. :)

Arto

.

Klaudius Petrulis
Arto Ratilainen said:

Yes, I am aware you can't voluntarily stop breathing long enough to die, unless you go underwater or use some other mechanism that prevents air from flowing through your nose and mouth.

 

 

 

Relax and breath slowly and deeply. Don't hurry through reps.

 

I definitely don't hurry through reps in F1, but I think the holding my breath thing is left over from when I was squatting weight.  It'll fix itself soon enough as long as I'm mindful.