This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Split Workouts During The Day

Started by taenkarth, February 8, 2013 · 4 Replies · 308 Views

taenkarth

I was wondering if it is a bad idea to work elements during the day as I have time instead of in one big circuit.

 

Didn't know if them being done back to back in the manner of a 4 day cycle was by design or if I just have to work those elements on those days without regard as to when.

 

Hope that makes sense... :huh:

Daniel Shields

I don't expect that separating the elements would slow your progress on them, but judging by the subjective experience of doing them back to back, the metabolic effect is much greater when done without rest between the exercises. I would certainly recommend doing them together if possible.

mm356

Wow - I was just about to post this exact question, so I'd be curious of opinions on this as well...

 

After doing a full week of F1, I agree with Daniel that there is definitely some pre-exhaustion going on with the earlier exercises that make the later ones more difficult (especially with the FL/sPL/HBP/RC day), but I also wondered if splitting them up might be beneficial, or at least not hinder progress, by being fresh before each exercise.

 

Was the original design intent to do everything back-to-back, with this pre-exhaustion designed in on purpose, or was it simply to do all of the exercises on a given day regardless of the rest between each exercise group (of course keeping each PE and IM element together)?

Joshua Slocum

In general the only problem with doing the various exercises throughout the day is that you either aren't warming up beforehand, or you lose time because you have to warm up 3 or 4 times throughout the day. 

 

You could vary the order in which you do exercises to mitigate your fatigue. In between different exercises it's acceptable to take some time to rest; get a drink of water, shake out your arms, catch your breath, etc. However, given that the exercises tend to involve different muscle groups, you shouldn't need too much rest. 

mm356
Hari_Seldon said:

You could vary the order in which you do exercises to mitigate your fatigue.

 

 

That was actually another question that came to mind as well, for similar reasons.  I saw somebody ask it a while back but never saw a definitive answer.  Wasn't sure if the design intent was to "do these in this exact order" or simply to "do these today".