This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squats And Slf With A Counterweight

Started by bigB, February 8, 2013 · 3 Replies · 239 Views

bigB

I can't seem to do deck squats without holding a counterweight. I can stand up, but it's more of hop up because I can't get my feet beneath my butt so I'm falling backwards and I can't execute another rep without resetting my stance.
Is this just a learning curve or is it something else? ( e.g. not getting tight enough, long femurs )

I was able to do all the other SLS mastery exercises up to SLS/PE4, but deck squats without a counterweight are beyond me. with a 18lb or 53lb counterweight they are easy.

 

I've also been  SLS to a 5 gallon bucket for a few months, so I'll most likely just continue doing that for sets of 5. I seem to have the same problem with my weight being to far back with free SLS, but the issue goes away when I use a counterweight.

 

Should I just keep working on it?

Is performing a SLS with a counterweight an easier movement than a weightless version?

Looking at BtGB it looks like I see many different depths of SLS. What is a proper depth for the SLS?

All the way to butt on heels?

Erik Bowling

You may be having a similar issue to what I had going on with the Deck Squats. After taking some time to really practice the squat coming out of the roll I found that I had the most difficult time trying to squat up when I wasn't paying attention to my feet and where they planted just before the push upward. Basically, while I was keeping my knees close to my chest, when I would roll forward my legs would extend (angle between lower leg and upper leg was larger) and my feet would be planted too far ahead of the rest of my body. So I would end up completely losing balance during the squat out of the roll.

David Birchall
Erik Bowling said:

You may be having a similar issue to what I had going on with the Deck Squats. After taking some time to really practice the squat coming out of the roll I found that I had the most difficult time trying to squat up when I wasn't paying attention to my feet and where they planted just before the push upward. Basically, while I was keeping my knees close to my chest, when I would roll forward my legs would extend (angle between lower leg and upper leg was larger) and my feet would be planted too far ahead of the rest of my body. So I would end up completely losing balance during the squat out of the roll.

I had the same problem.  This helped me massively. Thanks!

Vincearoo

Good info above. Attempting to stand up too soon will result in stumbling off backwards. Wait another second before begin to stand.