This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unexpected Benefits Of F1

Started by spinelli, February 8, 2013 · 17 Replies · 1,560 Views

spinelli

I used to have some fairly annoying issues with my shoulders and lower back, my shoulders would seize up if we I got tired and my lower back was weak and inflexible, since I started GST these issues have got a lot better. It's very rarely that they bother me so I basically assumed the issues were solved.

 

After a week of F1 I know that this was not the case, my back and shoulders are getting worked in new ways and they are incredibly sore (in the good, blood is getting to places it hasn't been in years way) and my hips feel much loser than they have in years. Coach you've done more for me than the osteopaths,  masseuses,  doctors and sport rehab centers have combined! And for that I thank you.

Anyone else noticed similarly unexpected benefits of (I'm guessing primarily the mobility exercises) F1?

(Wasn't sure if this was meant to be posted under community or F1 so I thought I'd play it safe, apologies if it needs to be moved)

Adriano Augusto

I have my lats so sore of rowing rowing rowing... but, in a certain way it's like if they have now more mobility. Just feelings.

 

And regarding shoulders, HBP/PE2>iM is amazing. So yes, of course we'll see progress on ROM and mobility week by week.

 

Congrats for your progress :D 

Keilani Gutierrez

I second that. i come from a lot of damage done to my hip and shoulder girdle due to neglecting rehab after injuries riding bmx and then undertaking kung fu training without addressing these issues.

 

my body has done a quantum leap from October to now. in all sense of the words, neurologically, movement-wise, strength-wise and flexible/mobile. 

 

i love it!

Joshua Slocum

It's not really unexpected, but my mobility in many areas has improved a great deal in just a week. 

Keilani Gutierrez

what was the standout? mine were the hips/hips. wall extensions get higher and dislocates get smoother and narrower

Dieuwert van der Wouw

My HS work has really improved since starting F1. My wrist can get a lot closer to the wall (from 10 to 3 cm in a week) and I even had a fairly solid 5s freestanding a couple of times(compaired to not even a second).

 

This makes me even more impatient for HS1!!

FredInChina
Dieuwert van der Wouw said:

My HS work has really improved since starting F1. My wrist can get a lot closer to the wall (from 10 to 3 cm in a week) and I even had a fairly solid 5s freestanding a couple of times(compaired to not even a second).

 

This makes me even more impatient for HS1!!

 

Great! :)

How do you explain it?

Josh Binding
Dieuwert van der Wouw said:

My HS work has really improved since starting F1. My wrist can get a lot closer to the wall (from 10 to 3 cm in a week) and I even had a fairly solid 5s freestanding a couple of times(compaired to not even a second).

 

This makes me even more impatient for HS1!!

I feel exactly the same, I do HS against the wall at the end of my F1 stuff and I am finding my wrist, shoulders and everything so much more flexible, stronger. Granted I have been working HS against the wall for only 2-3 months and have only just got proper alignment.

I am really enjoying it so far, some positions are progressing faster but that is to be expected, I just have to work harder on my week points.

Joshua Naterman

The foundation work, along with Kit's stretches have also really put my shoulder rehab back into gear.

I feel better each week, to a greater extent than when I was just doing rehab, and overall I just feel younger, because I am moving so much better in so many ways.

I've gotten a short full lay FL back as well, and planche leans are coming along nicely.

Mats Trane

I find the Mobility work of F1 just amazing! For unexpected benefits, for me its to early to say. Having said that I think the

Xiaopeng Forward and Xiaopeng backward will do wonders to my "office desk work" shoulders. I just love these!

Side-to-Side Squat, doing these and concentrating on having the butt low to the floor will do great things to my sidesplits.

Straddle Modified Reverse Hyper will do wonders to my tight hips

capoeirista

I have also noticed huge improvements  in my HS work oddly enough!

I am 100% satisfied with this offering

Mark Collins

I did some chest to wall handstands today and I felt so much better. I hadn't done them in over a week so it is obviously the foundation program that is helping. I felt so much stronger in my core.

pogo69
Joshua Slocum said:

It's not really unexpected, but my mobility in many areas has improved a great deal in just a week. 

Also, not unexpected per-se, but I have experienced some pleasing side-effects:

 

I've experienced a few injuries from Obstacle Racing and playing rubgy with my sons

  • Posterior Tibial Tendonitis - lots of running volume + strength/mobility imbalances in feet/calves/hips
  • Sprained ankle - trying to overtake slower runners on a rocky downhill
  • Knee pain - inferior agility when trying to keep up with my 13yo and 16yo

While I was already diligently rehab'ing the PTT with exercises prescribed by my physio, the addition of Swivel Hips, Deck Squats and Skiers have greatly accelerated my recovery from all of the above

 

Deck squats and skiers in particular have given me instantaneous relief from the knee pain - I was extremely immobile with the skiers to begin with and it was the cause of a lot of "grinding/creaking" in the knees, but after a full 12 week set (I'm now in my 2nd week 11 after going back to week 9) they are smooth as silk.  I'm attributing the "rehab effect" to a combination of the full range (deck) squat and the stability/mobility gains in the skiers

dritar

Arch body hold. Every second gained is a victory against slouching in a desk :). Even thought I hate this exercise. 

 

Stiff Leg windmills. I couldn't believe how tight I felt in the beginning. 

 

But what I'm really thankful for is H1 and handstand training in general that has helped me enormously with dealing with bad episodes of BPPV. The dizzies are still there but I feel much more confident moving around.

SuperBru

My deltoids use to hurt a lot when doing lateral raises in the past (this was due to them being very weak). I have found that Xiaopeng has helped with deltoid mobility and the planche lean has helped with strengthening them. 

FritsMB

Starting my fourth month of F1/F2 and my third month of HS, I have comfortably settled down in a routine. The main benefit for me is that I have finally found a way to address my many weaknesses (GST-wise) in a well organized and systematic manner, thanks to coach Sommers brilliant program design. Up to starting with this program, I, like so many other GST practitioners, was aware of those weaknesses, but had found all sorts of excuses to not work them. Or, to start addressing them and then give up because working my strong side was so much more fun and rewarding. The combination of the diversity of exercises and the programming in small enough progressive steps now allows me to really enjoy working and (slowly) progressing with my GST weak side while I can have the same old ego-satisfaction from training and faster progression of my strong side. In short, I continue to get new insides in how my body works (and how I can improve it). And this is just the beginning, given that I have hardly scratched the surface of F2, and that F3 and F4 have not even been published yet.   :)

Mark Collins

I can now touch the floor with my knuckles and I don't walk around with my butt sticking out as much.

I have also put on 2kg of muscle, so I now weigh 93kg. I want to get lighter so I have to lift less! Funny thing is that people keep asking if I have lost weight.

strme

i milking goats all year long. so my biggest benefit from f1 is that i can milking faster and better ;) f1 is almost in finish for me..  i think f2 will become milking cows hhhh  in one hand l-sit offcorse