This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spl/pe1>Im: Swivel Hips

Started by Bobby Bogdanovski, February 8, 2013 · 22 Replies · 1,444 Views

Bobby Bogdanovski

Are there any supplemental mobility drills I can work in addition to swivel hips to assist in increasing my ROM?

Without taking my glutes off the ground my current ROM comes to an abrupt end when my leg gets to about 45deg above ground and I'm worried that 12 weeks may not be enough time to increase this without extra work

RatioFitness

Same here.

 

You could try to youtube hip internal rotation mobility/stretches.

 

Slowly and gradually, repeat, slowly and gradually working on SLS/PE3>iM could also help.

 

Here are mobility wods tagged hip internal rotation.

 

 http://www.mobilitywod.com/tag/hip-internal-rotation

 

Let's look through these and share what we find. 

Doddibot

Firstly, does anyone ever have enough rotational mobility to get the knee to the ground in both directions without the glutes coming off? I suspect internal rotation is often limited by ligaments and so would be very hard to stretch.

Also, are the integrated mobility sets designed to stretch, or rather just to take your muscles through their current range (however limited that may be)?

Bobby Bogdanovski
RatioFitness said:

Same here.

 

You could try to youtube hip internal rotation mobility/stretches.

 

Slowly and gradually, repeat, slowly and gradually working on SLS/PE3>iM could also help.

 

Here are mobility wods tagged hip internal rotation.

 

 http://www.mobilitywod.com/tag/hip-internal-rotation

 

Let's look through these and share what we find. 

 

Thanks for the link. I'll look through

Bobby Bogdanovski

OK here are some I found that might be worth trying. The links take you to the applicable time in each vid:

 

 

 
and a good one for those of us who confine ourselves to an office chair everyday
 
 
Thanks again for the link Ratio
 
RatioFitness
Doddibot said:

Firstly, does anyone ever have enough rotational mobility to get the knee to the ground in both directions without the glutes coming off? I suspect internal rotation is often limited by ligaments and so would be very hard to stretch.

Also, are the integrated mobility sets designed to stretch, or rather just to take your muscles through their current range (however limited that may be)?

They are definitely designed to improve your mobility.

 

The model in the video puts his knees to the ground, so it's obviously possible. 

George Launchbury

Oddly I can do the internal rotation leg no worries (+1 for the MWod) with my other left in neutral ...however when I attempt to do both legs, it seems to be the knee that rotates outward that is dragging my opposite hip/pelvis off the ground.!?

Doddibot
RatioFitness said:

They are definitely designed to improve your mobility.

 

The model in the video puts his knees to the ground, so it's obviously possible. 

He doesn't quite get to the ground, plus his pelvis still rotates as he does it. I still contend we're all aiming to do something that's just not possible.

David Birchall

I am aiming to get my knees and hips at the same height away from the floor while the glutes remain on the floor.  This is difficult.  I can do it at the same height as the video but it takes 10-30s of stretching in that position to get to that point.  can do 5*15 scap push ups ok but I am waiting until I can get the mobility in <5 the knees the same height in the video.

PhilipP

Where are you supposed to feel this exercise?

I can get the outside leg all the way to the floor but when the other leg starts going inward i feel an intense stretch on the inside of my groin and a little pull on the outside of the knee of the same leg. The glute obviuosly lifts if I try to go further. Is this the internal rotation the swivel hip targets? Should we do what dbirchall does and really stretch into it or just stop when the brakes hit on our current rom?

If I don't see the video I would think it was impossible.

FredInChina
Doddibot said:

(...) I still contend we're all aiming to do something that's just not possible.

 

Is that a new clue for the Easter Egg? :huh:

RatioFitness
Doddibot said:

He doesn't quite get to the ground, plus his pelvis still rotates as he does it. I still contend we're all aiming to do something that's just not possible.

You can rotate some without your glute coming completely off the ground. In order for me to get my knee as low as he does my glute as t come entirely off the floor. 

IcedDante

A new member of the "limited hip mobility" club signing up here. I'll be interested to hear about people's progress in this area going forward. I think this is a long term project: is the inability to bring knees to the ground going to halt your progress from moving onto the next stage?

Klaudius Petrulis

I notice that sitting up straight and keeping a 'proud chest' helps me get close to both glutes on the floor, but not quite yet. Let's hope our ROM improves in a few weeks shall we?

Cannister
Klaudius Petrulis said:

I notice that sitting up straight and keeping a 'proud chest' helps me get close to both glutes on the floor, but not quite yet. Let's hope our ROM improves in a few weeks shall we?

 

I too have noticed how much I sit up or lean back changes my ROM considerably.  I can't tell from the video what the proper degree of lean forward or backward is.  Anybody have a good guess, or better info?

Matt JC
 I too have noticed how much I sit up or lean back changes my ROM considerably. I can't tell from the video what the proper degree of lean forward or backward is. Anybody have a good guess, or better info?

 

 

90 Degree bend at the hips and knees according to the focus points below the exercise.

IcedDante

Another question for people in this thread: does limitations with hip mobility/flexibility affect you when doing the twisting squats?

Klaudius Petrulis

I've got an interesting issue that just developed today. I was doing swivel hips and for some reason my left hip was causing some pain when I swiveled to my right. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just tight hips/lack of warm up? I've had the lack of ROM before, but I haven't felt the pain.

 

@IcedDante: I would say some mobility is required, along with some balance, but it should be easier after drilling it for a few sessions. My first attempt was terrible, but the ones after that were better (I still get confused on which way to turn though lol)

Coach Sommer

Sharp pain is always an indication of doing either too much or too hard for too long.  Skip swivel hips for the next 2-4 days and then begin them again at an easier gentler intensity.  

 

Remember it is not possible to train iM with the same intensity as PE and SE without incurring injury.  Increasing mobility is a LONG term project.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez
Coach Sommer said:

Sharp pain is always an indication of doing either too much or too hard for too long.  Skip swivel hips for the next 2-4 days and then begin them again at an easier gentler intensity.  

 

Remember it is not possible to train iM with the same intensity as PE and SE without incurring injury.  Increasing mobility is a LONG term project.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

how would you recommend for us to undertake the maintenance of the earlier progression iM? is this something that is achieved by simply keeping up the our current level iM or incorporating the earlier iM's that we have mastered into our warm up? because thats what I was thinking of doing after FL/PE1 for example, warm up with 60sec hold, do 5 catcows & move on to starting that WOD. would this be a sound way of going about it?

Klaudius Petrulis
Coach Sommer said:

Sharp pain is always an indication of doing either too much or too hard for too long.  Skip swivel hips for the next 2-4 days and then begin them again at an easier gentler intensity.  

 

Remember it is not possible to train iM with the same intensity as PE and SE without incurring injury.  Increasing mobility is a LONG term project.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Thanks coach! I was thinking my hips were tightening up. Never realised I may be overworking them.

Nic Branson

Do not chase reps with IM. The target number is your goal with good form but you start where you start. Forcing extra reps with bad form is a step back for IM.

Klaudius Petrulis

I think I found one of the reasons for the pain, I was doing double the amount of skiiers thinking it wasn't a huge deal.. I hate to admit it but I was wrong.