This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Extra Mobility Work

Started by ChrisBR, February 7, 2013 · 4 Replies · 429 Views

ChrisBR

So I've come to find out that I have the mobility of a corpse a day in the grave.

 

I want to perform extra mobility work to take a proactive approach to this issue.  I plan to use only the mobility drills at my current level of foundation.  I had a couple questions:

 

1)  Is this a good idea, or will this hinder my progress?

 

2)  If it's a good idea, can the mobility drills be used any day of the week, or should I focus extra mobility work only on the assigned day of that specific drill?  For example sPL/PE1>iM 4 day cycle:  Say I wanted to perform extra sets of swivel hips at my leisure.  Is it beneficial to do these only on a Mon and Thurs, or can they be used any day of the cycle?

 

Thanks

Keilani Gutierrez

First, assuming that the Foundation One iM goes with YOUR goal of flexibility, you don't need to worry about doing extra mobility because that is taken care of in the program.

 

Second, depending on your personal flexibility goals, you can look through to the end results of the Foundation Series to verify if you're mobility or lack there of is addressed within it. if so, then awesome! all you need to do is follow is the prescribed mobility. in the event that it isn't your end goal, you'll (if you want to accomplish your goal) just have to find the mobility/flexibility move will make that a reality. 

 

if you're inflexible due to injury, you're gonna want to take it slow. if you're inflexible due to lack of movement, you'll want to do the same. if you're inflexible AND don't posses much strength, it is a great opportunity to build strength and mobility together. I posted earlier how I can't do a certain simple element in the Foundation Series but I'm able to do Pistol Squats from practically being in a sitting hamstring stretch position. problem with my hips is that they're too closed(for the time being) so i shouldn't be focusing on that element, just yet.

 

something you also don't want to do is thoroughly piss off your joints without prepping them first, so I'm gonna go back to Foundation One. if you're goal is addressed as a means to attain a certain strength element, it will be wise to reap the benefits of milking that mobility cow to not only make your joints supple, but at the same time make them strong. hence why Coach dubbed his series "Liquid Steel™"

 

I hope that helped you in one way or another  :icon_biggrin:

Daniel Shields

While the Foundation series certainly has great mobility work built in, I'm not sure that it follows that therefore you should not do additional work-- particularly if you are coming into it with a bad mobility deficit. More knowledgeable members can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it would do any harm to do a few extra sets of the iM exercises in your warmup, after your workout, and/or on off days provided that aren't feeling any pain or other warning signs from your body. I'm certain adding in extra stretching won't hurt.

 

Coach frequently recommends the work of Kit Laughlin for flexibility training. His YouTube channel has lots of excellent stuff that I've started incorporating into my mobility work. He has a book out detailing his system, and he and Coach are currently collaborating on a flexibility course that will hopefully be coming out in the relatively near future. Also check out Kit's contributions to this thread:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9894-why-doesnt-flexibility-stick/

Cole Dano

It is no problem to do any of the mobility drills in Foundation One anytime you want. 

 

Swivel Hips in particular can be done multiple times a week. It is a favourite of mine, and  you may find that you can create many subtle flavours of the movement.

 

Points to watch for are you doing worse today than yesterday, if so, you may be doing too much.

 

Also particular to swivel hips, if done too aggressively, they can irritate the knees. The movement must come from the rotation of the hips.

ChrisBR

thanks for the replies.  and thanks Cole for the tip about paying attention to the hip rotation.  i was neglecting this before and noticed an improvement.