This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Name The Exercises (E.g., Spl/pe2 = "elbow Plank")

Started by Anders Alexandersson, February 7, 2013 · 8 Replies · 432 Views

Anders Alexandersson

I just bought F1-F4 and I am stoked! However, I think it would be useful to have common names for the exercises in addition to the official names. For example, I find it more useful to think of "old cow/angry cat" instead of "FL/PE1>iM" and "elbow plank" instead of "sPL/PE2" when I am about to exercise. Therefore, one suggestion for improvement is to add such common names for all the exercises in the book.

 

Sometimes, there are several common names. For example, I did not know until recently what a side lever (SL) is. But I heard of the "human flag". The full SL is in F4, I guess, but even F1 has some exotic exercises! :-) Other times, there are perhaps no established common names. But that's ok. Maybe we can be creative? What do you think?

Cole Dano

Side Lever is the common gymnastic name. All of the exercises have names, use the program for a couple of months and there won't be a problem any more.

 

The code is there because it's easier to write, and tells you just where you are in the overall program.

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, I prefer using the exercise's program code rather than its name. That way it's easy to tell what someone's working on and where they are, without having to go to the book and look up what a "macaque-plank-up" is.

Coach Sommer
Anders Alexandersson said:

... I just bought F1-F4 and I am stoked! However, I think it would be useful to have common names for the exercises in addition to the official names ... Maybe we can be creative? What do you think? ...

 

No.  

 

There will be no created F1 common name usage allowed on the forum.  This will only create endless confusion.  Use either the name or the specific notation assigned in the course.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Anders Alexandersson

Thanks Cole and Hari. You make good points. I guess I could go back to BTGB for more background reading of the exercises. I just started with F1. The videos are great and the naming convention will grow on me, I hope. I do appreciate that there is a naming convention. Have not heard of a "macaque-plank-up" before but it sounds really tough. :lol:

Anders Alexandersson

Thanks Coach. :)

Anders Alexandersson

Ah, and good for me, it was a browser issue under Windows XP! Coach wrote: "...Use either the name or the specific notation assigned in the course." Similarly, in the section Mastery it says  "Underneath this video is the exercise’s name...".  What name, I thought? I could not see the name. I had Windows XP and had to improvise.

 

Therefore, I misleadingly suggested to use "common names". I suggested "old cow/angry cat" for "FL/PE1>iM" because I could not see that the exercise already had the name "Cat Cow".  Similarly, I suggested "elbow plank" because I was not aware the exercise already had a name "Forearm Plank".

 

I am very pleased with now being able to learn the names of the exercises. :D

Cole Dano

I was wondering why you wanted different names than were already there.

 

Good you got it working!

Darren Blum

Asking here if you could add the official GST names of the exercises next to the "code name" on the "This Weeks Assigned Workout" and on the printable sheets.

SPL/PE1 = Scapular Shrugs

Would help me a lot!