In the past I have preferred low carb diets to high carb diets. I changed this to increase performance.
I have been doing a cyclical diet of under 100g carbs low days (all veggies) and maybe triple that on workout days with most of the extra carbs being around my workout (skimmed milk pre and peri W.O, some sugary stuff straight after and potatoes, rice, buckwheat, oats). This is not set in stone but is the general pattern depending on intensity of workout, activity etc.
I don't want to obsess about nutritiming and weighing measuring TOO much because it's funny but I nearly a panic attack once during the height of my bodybuilding obsessiveness when I couldn't count exactly what I had eaten. I was mental then and I don't want to get back into that lol! That said I try and eat for my activity level.
My problem is I love the way I feel when I am not retaining water under my skin from carbs. I feel puffy and horrible when I eat carbs. My energy levels are higher when I eat carbs and I perform better but my face goes rounder and softer and I feel like my skin is about to explode with blood (I haven't checked but I assume higher BP).
I look forward to the low calorie days when I am not training. I am considering upping fat intake on all days and just having the following around my workout because I just can't stand the bloat:
preworkout: Cottage Cheese & 10 Fish Oil Caps --- 30p 20c 10f
periworkout: 1 pint Skimmed Milk & 1tbsp Sugar --- 15p 40c 0f
postworkout: high GI carbs & whey to make up protein --- 30p 90c
which is just under 1000kcal.
Is there any way around the bloating or should I just accept that I either pick performance and feeling puffy or a nice defined face and feeling nice and lean?