This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tempo Of Repetitions

Started by Rob Rowland, February 6, 2013 · 12 Replies · 705 Views

Rob Rowland

Is this mentioned in the coursework?  I can't seem to find it.

Cole Dano

It's not mentioned explicitly, but demonstrated in the videos.

FredInChina
ewethestuff said:

The videos are really invaluable that way

 

Quick note though: MN/PE6 (HLL negatives) and HBP/PE5 (negative PB dips)

It says 10 seconds to descend for both exercises, but Alan is doing more like 6. I'm assuming it's just that he doesn't have a stopwatch to check?

 

I think it is a safe assumption that 10s are required for mastery, regardless of that particular video :)

Coach Sommer

Yes, in retrospect I should have shown a 10s negative to avoid possible confusion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

IcedDante

I thinking having the recommended tempo for all exercises would be good information to have in the text, IMO

Coach Sommer

- If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth?

 

- I intentionally did not include a prescribed tempo for the exercises as there is not one tempo that is suitable for all exercises.  

 

- Concentrate on smooth, controlled movements.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

synchroGENized

one problem for those of us who are using clap-trapety old computers is that the videos often freeze.  It's easy to see form and understand the exercise but tougher to understand the rhythm

u3er
Coach Sommer said:

- If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth?

 

- I intentionally did not include a prescribed tempo for the exercises as there is not one tempo that is suitable for all exercises.  

 

- Concentrate on smooth, controlled movements.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I agree that the videos are great at conveying tempo in most cases.  However in some they are a bit confusing.  For example, RC/PE3 the athlete's tempo changes slightly from rep-to-rep (first 3030, then 2030, then 2020).  Over ten reps, a 3030 tempo will feel very different than a 2020 tempo if you use a metronome as I do to keep a strict and consistent pace.

 

Perhaps we are making too big a deal of tempo?  Is it best to just think of each rep in terms of slow(ish), medium(ish), or fast(ish) pace and concentrating more on controlled movement?

ausswe

From what I understand just make sure the movement is controlled without the use of momentum. Except for sls pe/1 I believe a little bit of momentum is fine for that

Coach Sommer
synchroGENized said:

one problem for those of us who are using clap-trapety old computers is that the videos often freeze.  It's easy to see form and understand the exercise but tougher to understand the rhythm

 

Upgrade!!!  There is little that Cory can do for you if your machine is filled with vacuum tubes and still uses punch cards!

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

IcedDante
Coach Sommer said:

- If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth?

 

- I intentionally did not include a prescribed tempo for the exercises as there is not one tempo that is suitable for all exercises.  

 

- Concentrate on smooth, controlled movements.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The video clears up any ambiguity, however I do keep a copy on my Android phone. Currently I have been unable to find a reader that shows the video so I have to rely on the pictures and text. Currently I am doing these workouts at home, but when the time comes to take this to my local gymnastics center it would be nice to have this data in the text.

 

For others experiencing the same problem, I am looking for an Android eReader that allows you to post notes inside of an epub text. That way you can make notations regarding the tempo and technique and what not for the various movements.

Nic Branson

Ok caps.

STOP OVER THINKING!!!

Tempo...controlled movement through the entire range. Not jerky or haphazard but also not snailng through it. You have to discover how to move on your own to a point. Too much instruction will limit your learning. Breath and relax. Likely your tempo if not as mentioned above is just fine.

FredInChina
Nic Branson said:

(...) Too much instruction will limit your learning (...)

 

So true... we should have Tshirts with that on. :)