In F1 for five day per week training cycle, the way it is structured, every week I will do one more workout (sPL, HPB, RC, and FL) than the other (MN, SLS, and SL). Is this how it is supposed to be or should I alternate each week as is done with the three day per week workout?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Three And Five Day Training
Started by aiken54, February 6, 2013 · 14 Replies · 1,011 Views
The 5 day schedule is correct as shown.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Okay, thanks! Just wondering because the one move I am stuck on that is keeping me at level one is the arch body hold. Everything else is solid. But more work can't hurt ![]()
aiken54 said:(...) more work can't hurt
Oh yes it can hurt you, trust my experience on that one! ![]()
Well, I think you know what I mean. I completed the allotted sets for mastery in the Monday workout for progression one, but with great difficulty. So I am stepping back and doing weeks 9-12 of progression one to iron it out. Don't want to start off by building a weak foundation for the next progression. So that's what I mean by more work
Not like, "MUST DO MOAR BENCH PRESS"
aiken54 said:Okay, thanks! Just wondering because the one move I am stuck on that is keeping me at level one is the arch body hold. Everything else is solid. But more work can't hurt
If I'm understanding the book correctly, you should be working each move at the level above your highest demonstrated mastery. That is, I believe you're allowed to be at different levels for the different moves/progressions. Thus, you would keep working your arch body hold, but continue advancing along the other progressions.
That is what I have done. I have progressed onto PE2 for HBP, MN, and RC while doing PE1 for SL and PE3 for sPL and FL. I unfortunately had to cut SLS out of my training because of a knee issue.
aiken54 said:That is what I have done. I have progressed onto PE2 for HBP, MN, and RC while doing PE1 for SL and PE3 for sPL and FL. I unfortunately had to cut SLS out of my training because of a knee issue.
I absolutely don't mean to seem condescending, but it seems that the SLS iMs would go a long way to fixing knee issues. Are you still doing these or starting clear of all SLS work? I'm just curious ![]()
My knee injury, in short, is degraded cartilage. Since cartilage is created while you grow my window of opportunity for this to be healed by non surgical means is closing, as my growth spurt is nearing its end. The doctor said do things to keep blood flow going so right now I am doing shoulder stand squats. I will begin back with the SLS/PE1>iM in a month or two, and will start doing deck squats in about 4 months.
aiken54 said:My knee injury, in short, is degraded cartilage. Since cartilage is created while you grow my window of opportunity for this to be healed by non surgical means is closing, as my growth spurt is nearing its end. The doctor said do things to keep blood flow going so right now I am doing shoulder stand squats. I will begin back with the SLS/PE1>iM in a month or two, and will start doing deck squats in about 4 months.
I pray for a speedy recovery for you, my friend. I know what its like to deal with faulty knees and hope you recover soon. take this time to appreciate what we can do with our knees
#highfive
aiken54 said:My knee injury, in short, is degraded cartilage. Since cartilage is created while you grow my window of opportunity for this to be healed by non surgical means is closing, as my growth spurt is nearing its end. The doctor said do things to keep blood flow going so right now I am doing shoulder stand squats. I will begin back with the SLS/PE1>iM in a month or two, and will start doing deck squats in about 4 months.
For what its worth, I had knee surgery when I was 19 (clearly done growing) where a portion of my meniscus (cushioning in joint) was totally removed. I had knee pain and mobility issues for quite some time (im 22 now) but the SLS work in F1 has really done wonders for getting me back to pre-surgery strength and range of motion
aiken54 said:My knee injury, in short, is degraded cartilage. Since cartilage is created while you grow my window of opportunity for this to be healed by non surgical means is closing, as my growth spurt is nearing its end. The doctor said do things to keep blood flow going so right now I am doing shoulder stand squats. I will begin back with the SLS/PE1>iM in a month or two, and will start doing deck squats in about 4 months.
Wishing you well in your recovery Aiken54, your body is for life, and spare parts are nor readily available; take good care of it ![]()
Right now for you, specifically, I would probably ask your doctor about the following progression:
- weightless knee extensions, sitting in a chair, for very high reps (like 50+ per set, probably single sets mutliple times per day)
- High reps of body weight squats, only going so far down as you feel ok with. 20-50 reps
- High reps of split squats. You can run these concurrently with #2, so long as you feel ok. Unweighted, 15-40 reps. Split your weight 50-50ish on front and back legs, and don't have your feet ultra far apart.
You can probably eventually start adding weight to #3 with dumbbells, and when you get to where you're using ~40-50% of your bodyweight in DB you can probably safely work the deck squats back in, but I don't know. Cartilage is tricky stuff.
I think I would wait at least 2-3 months before adding weight, if it were me in your shoes, and I would do unweighted reps as recovery work on off days. I would not do weighted work more than twice per week.
I would also get evaluated immediately for any postural issues, if there is any good postural analysis in your area. This will probably not be your therapist's specialty, but who knows? Knowing what postural issues you have will help you fix whatever wore down your cartilage.
Unless it's genetic, but it's very likely that a nasty insidious dysfunctional movement pattern is responsible either way.
Bodyweight squats are probably a very good thing for you to do for a while. I don't think I would do deck squats until you are sure that you have recovered quite a lot of cartilage.
I would certainly do things like the speed skater squats,once you're ready, but give it time.
How come in H1 it's recommended to do F7 every workout, thus resulting in each progression getting equal work each week, yet the 5-day split in F1 seems to favour one of the two workouts?Coach Sommer said:The 5 day schedule is correct as shown.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Should one try to do each 7 movements the same nr of times per week/month or not?
Joshua Naterman said:Unless it's genetic, but it's very likely that a nasty insidious dysfunctional movement pattern is responsible either way.
Thank you so much. After correcting external hip rotation (feet out) my knee pain is gone. I know the injury is still there so I am still taking it easier but I am not aggravating it which is good.
Once again, thank you. I am going to follow your progression to rehab it, I'll let you know how that goes. But I trust it will go well ![]()