This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming Question: Wods To Foundation

Started by Gavin S, February 6, 2013 · 6 Replies · 86 Views

Gavin S

Hi all,

 

I have been working the WODs for the last two years and have also been working the statics to the point of a 15s Straddle BL, 15s Straddle FL and 37s FX L-sit. My PL work is very basic at this point (Plank)

 

I have purchased the Foundation series and have started working through it to plug gaps.

 

My question is around how I program as I work through Foundation 1. I would still like to do Ring Strength and I'd like to keep my other push/pull exercises at their current levels. Do I just move to a Killroy style program after the Foundation work for the day?

 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

Nic Branson

I would advise getting the foundation work down as you will find your training will get better on the more difficult elements. Maintenance work to maintain your current ring strength only, until you have a stronger foundation.

Daniel Burnham

I agree with Nick.  I don't know your training history or your physical abilities but from what you have stated, the Wod's were not working well for you.  This is exactly what the foundation series was made for.  A plank after 2 years is very slow progress.

 

Firstly focus on getting the Foundation workouts in.  Then if you are able to recover well from them you could add in some of the ring elements that you want to maintain.  Just know that from what I have seen of the Foundation workouts you will actually become stronger in some of the elements that you thought you might loose because it was that foundation of strength that kept you from progressing more in that movement to begin with.  

 

Just don't make a mistake and add a more advanced progression after the foundation stuff as that may impede progress.  If you are patient and progress through the foundation series you will find those exercises that you were doing much more manageable in the end. Don't get stuck on loosing a movement because you will have gained much more.

Gavin S

Thanks.

 

The WODs actually worked incredibly well for me and I thought for a long time before I decided to start with the Foundation work.

 

The reason my PL is weak is because I focussed on getting a full lay BL and 3 x 30s FX L's before starting with PL, as per Coach's recommendation. Also, following a seminar, I started all my progressions from the begining. So I have essentially worked to full lay BL twice and have only begun the journey to PL now.

 

Anyways, I will work through the Foundation and find my level of mastery and look to put in the odd Ring day as I go.

Daniel Burnham

Gavin: ah ok I understand. What you have planned sounds fine. Btw when did coach mention having a full lay back lever before planche? That seems a little strange considering back lever isn't a focus of the foundation while planche is.

Zach: I do skill workouts with my foundation work but sometimes find the foundation to be taxing. Particularly in the last month. Think I am overreaching? I also will occasionally add some ring strength prep on ring days so that I will be able to tackle some big holds when I finish foundation.

Gavin S

Daniel,

 

Coach has mentioned it (BL + L sits before PL) on a few ocassions, not sure specifically where.

Daniel Burnham

It may be a moot point for you now but I would think that would specifically be for ring planches. I understand that back lever preps the elbow, but from my experience a back lever is harder on the elbow than most of the floor planche progressions.

I don't speak for coach but this is just my theory.

Edit: just reread the back lever section in BtGB. It seems the reasoning for this is actually building the strength to hold the straight body positioning for planche. I would think that as long as your back lever is a progression ahead of planche (which is reasonable) that you would be fine.