This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mn/pe2 (Straddle-Up) Question

Started by Cannister, February 5, 2013 · 5 Replies · 384 Views

Cannister

This morning I attempted mastery on MN/PE2 (Straddle-up), as it was my first time trying this exercise.

 

I performed 5x15 reps of the best form that I could - but I felt quite limited in my ROM both in my straddle (I don't have the active flexibility yet to raise my legs very high off the floor), and in raising my chest - I felt like I was leaning back at the top of some of my reps.

 

My question is how to proceed in gaining the ROM in order to master this movement - should I start a 4 week cycle (starting at week 9) and simply repeat until I test successfully?  I feel like if I started at Week 1 or Week 5 that I won't be getting the volume that I would need to encourage the increase in ROM.

 

Should I supplement this movement with extra mobility to quicker gain the appropriate ROM for this movement?

 

Any help would be appreciated.

CraigR

Hi Cannister, increasing my pancake and pike flexibility was definitely the quickest way for me to build the ROM.  I just place more emphasis on improving the mobility exercise and find the strength exercise seems to tag along for the ride.

Cannister

CraigR - this exactly what I mean - I feel like the strength is there (I could complete all 5x15 reps) - but the flexibility was missing.  Did you suppliement the exercise with pike and pancake stretches or did the straddle-ups themselves increase your ROM?  I feel like adding Pike and Straddle stretches can't hurt but I have had very little success increasing this kind of flexibility in the past.

CraigR
Yes and no.  I think for people like me with a big mobility deficit, we might just need to run the full 12 weeks to get our mobility up to standard even though our strength is already at the mastery level.  

 

I was working on this before Foundation 1 was released so I did things a little differently but these are the things I feel helped:

 

 

- Do a reasonably hard stretch session once per week focusing primarily on Kit's bent leg hamstring stretch.  You can find Kit's videos on youtube.

 

- Focus on improving ROM in the mobility exercises rather than focusing on increasing the weight.  Although increasing the weight can often help to pry a little more ROM I find that I'm more likely to tighten up and restrict my ROM which is counterproductive.

 

- Stretch hamstrings after all sessions with lower body strength work.  I just spend ~60 secs in a relatively light weighted pike stretch and I find I'm nowhere near as sore or tight the day after a hard lower body session since I've started doing this.

 

- Do light daily mobility work and whenever possible sit on the floor in a pike or straddle rather than than the couch..  At first I needed to sit on pillows as I couldn't even sit at 90 degrees.  Over time I've removed pillows so that I'm now sitting on the floor.

 

Hopefully something there helps!
Cannister

Wow thank you for the suggestions.  I looked up and tried Kit's bent leg hamstring stretch and I friggin love it.  What a great stretch!

 

I've also been sitting on the floor for the past hour.  Thanks again!