This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Effect Of Weight On Exercise Intensity

Started by neil gillies, February 5, 2013 · 4 Replies · 299 Views

neil gillies

Hello all,

 

Firstly, many thanks to Coach and the GB team for the excellent new F1 series. I always thought I was reasonably strong, but I've been suitably humbled! I also now know why my progress to date has been slow and sporadic (particularly in the planche - PE1 has suitably demonstrated that my scap muscles aren't even remotely strong!).

 

A quick question about exercise intensity:

 

The guidelines presented in F1 for exercise repetitions and durations are the same for all trainees. As such, a heavier trainee will be working at a higher intensity than would be a light trainee (I think this is probably the case even if most of the additional weight is muscular). Was this considered when devising with the repetition ranges?

 

Thanks Again,

Neil

 

Joshua Slocum

In short, yes. 

 

These are preparatory elements for more advanced body-weight exercises. If your weight is such that it makes the preparatory exercises hard, it will make the more advanced exercises even harder. The purpose of F1 is to ensure that you have developed a masterful degree of control and endurance in several fundamental bodyweight movements. If your bodyweight is higher, then the bar for progression is necessarily set higher as well, to ensure that you are prepared for the more difficult movements. If you have excess body fat, dropping that weight will help a lot. If you're just a very tall person, then unfortunately there's no easy out, but I can say that there are many forum members who are 6ft/182cm and taller, who have had great success in their training. 

 

 

If you do happen to be exceptionally heavy (and not just a bit heavier than the norm), the prescribed training cycles may be too short for you. What is your height/weight? And how much is fat vs muscle? 

neil gillies

Hi Hari,

 

Outstanding answer! I hadn't thought about it in those terms.

 

I am not particularly heavy or tall (6ft/190lbs with relatively low body fat), but certainly heavier and taller than the gymnasts in the F1 e-book.

 

I have always had recovery issues and as a result I am wary of coupling high volume and intensity. I have however never adopted the programming approach outlined in F1, usually opting for 'Starting Strength' type programming, i.e. trying to increase load week after week in a linear fashion. This has perhaps contributed to my problems.....

 

Thanks again,

Neil

Keilani Gutierrez
neil gillies said:

Hi Hari,

 

Outstanding answer! I hadn't thought about it in those terms.

 

I am not particularly heavy or tall (6ft/190lbs with relatively low body fat), but certainly heavier and taller than the gymnasts in the F1 e-book.

 

I have always had recovery issues and as a result I am wary of coupling high volume and intensity. I have however never adopted the programming approach outlined in F1, usually opting for 'Starting Strength' type programming, i.e. trying to increase load week after week in a linear fashion. This has perhaps contributed to my problems.....

 

Thanks again,

Neil

I've had recovery issues as well. my Hollow Hold and superman Arch kind of stagnated at 3x30sec for a while and now that i'm going back and working the template in F1 my max holds are skyrocketing. bent hollow hold went from 30sec sets to being able to to hold 2 sets of 60 secs, so far. from what I've experienced a lot of these elements neurologically organize what strength you already have and super charge it in that area worked. if this strength is not in your posession, it will certainly be built and built in a very effective fashion. 

 

3x30sec Hollow/Arch holds with 30 rest between positions cycling through them in a giant set is nowhere near as working as focusing on one element, doing mobility inbetween and then going back to doing the holds. 

 

by the time you get to the positions you are currently doing, they will be exponentially smoother in form, harder in contraction and effective neurologically. all good things indeed! ^_^

Joshua Slocum
neil gillies said:

Hi Hari,

 

Outstanding answer! I hadn't thought about it in those terms.

 

I am not particularly heavy or tall (6ft/190lbs with relatively low body fat), but certainly heavier and taller than the gymnasts in the F1 e-book.

 

I have always had recovery issues and as a result I am wary of coupling high volume and intensity. I have however never adopted the programming approach outlined in F1, usually opting for 'Starting Strength' type programming, i.e. trying to increase load week after week in a linear fashion. This has perhaps contributed to my problems.....

 

Thanks again,

Neil

I would give the foundation programming a try. Taller and heavier members have had success with it. You could start with the 3-day cycle if you think your recovery is slow. Also make sure you're eating well and get plenty of sleep, especially the day after your workout. 

 

It should also be noted that the Foundation is not a high volume, high intensity program. In fact keeps volume and intensity pretty well balanced. The less intense exercises, like arch holds, are high volume. Whereas the more intense exercises, like p-bar dips, are low-volume.