This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sls/pe2 And Pe3 Reps

Started by u3er, February 4, 2013 · 16 Replies · 683 Views

u3er

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly...

 

For SLS/PE2 and PE3, do you do 10 reps total or 10 reps for each leg (and thus 20 total)?

 

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Nic Branson

Coach has clarified below I was mistaken. 5r per leg for these.

u3er

This is good to know...  Definitely was not trying to get out of anything but honestly thought it was 10 reps total during my first read of the book.  Guess I better go back and re-test these two levels!  This is something that might be worth clarifying in the updated release.

gohei_

I also think things like that should be perfectly clear, I as well thought it meant 10reps total, as in 5 per leg.

u3er

Also if this increased # of reps is indeed the case, then SLS/PE2 is a huge jump up from PE1 (it has both significantly higher volume and intensity) and in my opinion it is also far more difficult than PE3 (which has less even volume and intensity than PE2!)...  Not exactly sure how this one work out, but nonetheless I will go retest these levels again   :unsure:

Joshua Slocum
A.J. said:

Also if this increased # of reps is indeed the case, then SLS/PE2 is a huge jump up from PE1 (it has both significantly higher volume and intensity) and in my opinion it is also far more difficult than PE3 (which has less even volume and intensity than PE2!)...  Not exactly sure how this one work out, but nonetheless I will go retest these levels again   :unsure:

It's not higher volume. In PE1, each leg performs 10 reps. In PE2, each leg performed 10 reps. The only difference is that the reps are at the same time in PE1. 

u3er
Hari_Seldon said:

It's not higher volume. In PE1, each leg performs 10 reps. In PE2, each leg performed 10 reps. The only difference is that the reps are at the same time in PE1. 

Good explanation!  I still can't quite figure out how PE3 is supposed to be harder than PE2 though (for me at least, but maybe others who have squat mobility issues will find this one tough), but I suppose I'll just breeze through it when the time comes.  As for now, time to build up my Cosack volume!

Coach Sommer

- On those particular elements each leg worked counts as a single rep.  Thus for Cossack Squats a set of 10r would be comprised of 5r performed for each leg.

 

- Note that it is not only the overall number of reps involved, but also that these are single leg variations with higher loads and higher levels of neuromuscular activation than the Deck Squats.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

I stand corrected, sorry guys.

Coach Sommer

The inherent mobility required for properly performing SLS/PE3 is where most people will struggle.  Keeping the glutes low to the ground at all times as you pass between repetitions requires significantly more neuromuscular activation than standing up and passing through what is essentially a rest position in between each repetition as occurs during SLS/PE2.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

u3er

Thanks for clarifying Coach.  10 Cossacks definitely seems more manageable than 20!  Onto PE4 testing I'll continue...! 

spyro7800

what about ankle? I see in demonstration that athlete's ankle is off the ground..is this correct?

u3er
spyro7800 said:

what about ankle? I see in demonstration that athlete's ankle is off the ground..is this correct?

I also noticed this (PE2)...  In my humble opinion, this is not a great demonstration of form (and the only instance in the whole book where I would say this).  Keeping your heel glued to the floor actually requires much better strength and mobility than just rotating from your toes, as was demonstrated.  The athlete in PE3 I believe shows perfect technique however.

Boki

Since we are talking about the number of reps, I have a question about SLS/PE1>iM - Skiers. Are we supposed to do 5r or 10r per side?

gohei_

Thanks for the clarification Coach.

Cannister
Boki said:

Since we are talking about the number of reps, I have a question about SLS/PE1>iM - Skiers. Are we supposed to do 5r or 10r per side?

I'd also like clarification on this, since PE2 happens to be 5r each leg.  Until I hear otherwise I'm doing 10r each leg, but I would like to make sure that I'm following program as envisioned.

Riku Calderón

In my opinion The skier is double leg movement. So it is 10 total.