This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Developing Hamstring Strength

Started by Erik Bowling, February 4, 2013 · 14 Replies · 609 Views

Erik Bowling

I have been testing out the fundamental exercises to hone in on what level of which exercises I should do. I think I've got the right ones for a good 8 week cycle that will lead to good results (ie. strength increases).

 

Those would be Ring Push Ups, Ring Rows with feet on floor, Bodyweight Squats(not quite at deck squat level yet), single leg deadlifts, Pull Ups with mixed grips and Box Headstand Push Ups.

 

Now, my question is there a chance of my quads advancing faster than my hamstrings with this protocol? Is there a better bodyweight exercise that would develop my hamstrings in a more parallel way to my quads? My lower body has always been a weak spot for me (in terms of presses and pulls) so I would really like to achieve as much balance as possible in this area.

 

Keep in mind I don't have the extra cash for free weights at the moment, so I have to come up with comparable bodyweight alternatives for the lower body.

Joshua Slocum

How is it that you can do a single-leg deadlift but can't do deck squats? 

Alex Chubb

Natural leg curls?

chobbs
Hari_Seldon said:

How is it that you can do a single-leg deadlift but can't do deck squats? 

At least in my case - mobility. I am unable to plant my feet close enough to my butt coming out of the roll. It isn't a strength issue at all. No idea if it is the same for OP, but figured I would mention at least once case where the problem was elsewhere. Speaking of deck sqauts, I need to figure out a different progression for them as holding a light KB in front of me hasn't improved my ability to do them thus far.

 

- Chris

Joshua Slocum
chobbs said:

At least in my case - mobility. I am unable to plant my feet close enough to my butt coming out of the roll. It isn't a strength issue at all. No idea if it is the same for OP, but figured I would mention at least once case where the problem was elsewhere. Speaking of deck sqauts, I need to figure out a different progression for them as holding a light KB in front of me hasn't improved my ability to do them thus far.

 

- Chris

Oh, I suppose that could be a problem. You may be able to overcome this by using a little momentum from the roll to get your weight over your feet. 

chobbs
Hari_Seldon said:

Oh, I suppose that could be a problem. You may be able to overcome this by using a little momentum from the roll to get your weight over your feet. 

Only way I can do it at this point is with a KB held out in front of me pulling me to the initial squat. My feet end up about a foot away from my rear and without the additional weight it is physically impossible to get into a squat position at that angle.

 

For the OP - I would suggest hip bridges with sliders under the feet - extend out flat and pull the feet in until a bridge position is reached.

 

- Chris

Erik Bowling
chobbs said:

At least in my case - mobility. I am unable to plant my feet close enough to my butt coming out of the roll. It isn't a strength issue at all. No idea if it is the same for OP, but figured I would mention at least once case where the problem was elsewhere. Speaking of deck sqauts, I need to figure out a different progression for them as holding a light KB in front of me hasn't improved my ability to do them thus far.

 

- Chris

This is actually the same issue I'm having. It's as though the movement is so foreign that I'm simply not able to perform it properly. I'm really only accustomed to the standard bodyweight squats, barbell squats and some unilateral work so coming out of a roll properly is quite foreign and I find myself losing balance when I do it.

chobbs
Erik Bowling said:

This is actually the same issue I'm having. It's as though the movement is so foreign that I'm simply not able to perform it properly. I'm really only accustomed to the standard bodyweight squats, barbell squats and some unilateral work so coming out of a roll properly is quite foreign and I find myself losing balance when I do it.

For me the balance aspect is okay. I have always come out of my rolls with one lower leg on the ground, and the other planted normally - this give me the space to continue the forward roll over that leg on the ground and then I can stand up from there. A deck squat is obtainable if I could figure out how to get my feet about 6" closer to my rear. :)

 

In your case, if it is just a matter of losing that balance I would go ahead and use a light weight KB (or something similar) at arms legnth as it will help stabilize you - then, as you improve hold it closer to your body until you can stop using it. That is the theory anyway.

 

- Chris

Erik Bowling
Hari_Seldon said:

How is it that you can do a single-leg deadlift but can't do deck squats? 

 

The Deck Squat itself to pose two problems for me. 1) When it comes to going from a deep squat into a backward roll, I find that in the low position I simply don't feel the same level of control as I do in the rest of the movement. I think that one is a matter of it just being a new movement however. 2) Coming out of the forward roll into the squat. I think it's a matter of not allowing myself enough momemtum into the squat as well as not planting my feet in the correct spot in relation to the rest of my body.

 

Basically, I know how to do SLDs. The Deck Squats however are a matter of practicing two necessary transitions in the movement. Once I've gotten use to the feel of the movement it probably won't be that challenging for me.

Blairbob

 Assisted SLS and glute ham bridge slides.

 

 And sitting a lot like an asian. Force stretched if need be. Use the rings or a table as an assist and just sit for a long time.

Joshua Slocum

What is sitting like an asian?

gohei_

I assume just sitting down in a really low squat?

FredInChina
Hari_Seldon said:

How is it that you can do a single-leg deadlift but can't do deck squats? 

 

LOL... Long tibias don't help with that exercise! :D

My lower legs are 25.5" from heel to knee; that and a relatively short torso make it a challenge to stand after the roll.

I do the deck squats on a slight incline at the moment in order to get acquainted with them.

 

That will come... :)

whaleysa

Same issue here.

Strength-wise I can pass master set/reps for all of F1, body weight squat for days, Cossack and side-to-side squats are no problem at all,, but the Deck Squats and every one of the mobility exercises = MASSIVE FAIL.

It feels like the end of 2013 before I'll safely do 5 sets of Twisting Squats.

No deck squats without SERIOUS momentum (practically rolling in a tuck candlestick) or holding dumbells.

And in the end, my low back hurts after just a few reps.

I have done single leg DL with/without weight for years...

Erik Bowling

Ok, so I opted to go back and practice Deck Squats for a little while this morning. Specifically the slight roll into the ascension. So I found out that while I was keeping my knees close to my body coming out of the roll, my legs were slightly extending. This resulted in my center of gravity not being completely over my feet at the end of the roll. What ended up happening was that I would plant my feet a bit too far ahead of myself without realizing it and end up pushing myself up slightly then back onto my butt or lose balance completely and fall to the sides. After I realized it was my foot placement I then realized that I needed a harder push from the seated position. Something more akin to jumping squat effort without actually jumping out of it.

 

So, if you were having trouble with it like me, try to make sure your legs aren't extending before you have to push off the ground from the roll, apparently even a little unnoticed extension will cause you to fall back on your butt.