This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fl Mobility Week 1 - Swivel Hips

Started by Jerry Mangona, February 4, 2013 · 6 Replies · 477 Views

Jerry Mangona

sPL/PE1>iM

 

Instructions state:

 

1) Maintain a 90 degree angle in the hips and knees
2) Keep the glutes on the ground at all times

 

Um, I'm 0 for 2 on this. I can't possibly keep the glutes on the ground.

 

Is there an earlier progression to this? 

And should I wait for the mobility to catch up before I continue to next "week" even if it means my FL work lags behind everything else? Am patient, just want to know.

 

 

Thanks - J

FredInChina
Jerry Mangona said:

should I wait for the mobility to catch up before I continue to next "week"

 

My understanding is that you actually have a whole 12 weeks ahead of you to tackle this one, so no need to repeat the same week over and over.

Keep with the progressions, and in 12 weeks, you should be good to go on the iM part. :)

Joshua Slocum

In the training prescribed by the book, you would go through a 12-week training cycle while learning the movement. So the goal would be to have developed full ROM by the 12th week. Which means it's OK if you begin the training cycle without being able to manage full ROM.

Coach Sommer

- Very good, gentlemen.  That is correct.  The correct degree of mobility is developed over the course of the training cycle.

 

- There is also something else to consider when deciding on the appropriate length of a training cycle (12wks, 8wks or 4wks); while the strength mastery may only require 4wks for you on a particular element it is quite possible that the integrated mobility for that element may take you longer to develop; especially for those of you who seem to possess non-terminal cases of rigor-mortis.   :eek:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jerry Mangona

Since my hip internal rotation mobility is deficient, I'm supplementing with this stretch on off days. Doing them passively so I can relax into them for 2-3 minutes at a time. Will it help? I'll let you all know. In case anyone else has feedback for people struggling with this, I'm curious to hear it.

 

http://running.competitor.com/2012/07/video/monday-minute-lying-knee-to-knee-stretch_4863

 

One cool thing is that you can even do it seated at your desk once you feel the right muscles being stretched...depending, of course, on how poor your mobility is.

Anders Alexandersson

Thanks Coach, finally a diagnosis that makes sense to me: I have a "non-terminal case of rigor-mortis" :o I'm glad it can be fixed eventually :)

RatioFitness

I found that if I push my hip forward somewhat towards the end of the movement my knee goes to the ground (my glute stays on the ground). If I don't do that, then my knee doesn't get anywhere close to the ground. Is that allowed?