This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapula Clicking - Hollow Back Press Work / sPL Work

Started by Jerry Mangona, February 4, 2013 · 3 Replies · 266 Views

Jerry Mangona

On week 1/day 1 of new program.

 

Noticing on both the incline press as well as the scapular shrug, I'm feeling and hearing a "clicking" noise and sensation as I go through the full ROM. I'm also noticing that the sensation goes away when I bring my scapula away from depression and perhaps even slight elevation. 

 

Naterman addresses the question but regarding the cuban press here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9441-slight-shoulder-clicking-with-cuban-press/#entry91114

 

Am I to depress scapula? Leave neutral? Slightly elevate?

 

Want to make sure I'm addressing "weak links" and getting full ROM without going into improper form.

 

Thanks everyone - Jerry

joek

I also have a clicking noise when doing scapular shrugs, but in my case it goes away when i try to depress the scapula. Is there any recommended scapula position for this exercise? Should I try to avoid the clicking, its not painful but I can feel some kind of "snap" when it clicks.

Keilani Gutierrez

i'm not an expert but i know it happens to me because i haven't worked on my elevators as much as the other ranges of motion. as long as it doesn't cause pain for you or ruin your flow, don't worry about it. if you post a video of your form, it would help further diagnostic of what is going on

Richard Hamilton

Jerry, I had a similar thing with my right shoulder when doing scapular shrugs. I tried adjusting my hands and scapula position to little effect. For me it was my head/neck position... I seemed to be trying to look ahead a little when doing the PE. I found that putting my head in a more neutral position helped me...