This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick Questions After Reading Through Foundation 1

Started by Eric Xavier, February 3, 2013 · 3 Replies · 410 Views

Eric Xavier

Hey I just finished reading F1 after getting over three days of being sick, and am getting excited to try out this new workout scheduling/method. A lot of new stuff there for me.  I think it will be a fresh change and pretty good to go back and identify some weaknesses that have been slowing progress. 

 

While reading a few questions popped in my head and I wanted to get the opinions of the veterans here.

 

1)  What to substitute for a pommel horse?

I mean these things are nowhere to be seen in any gym, and cost quite a bit. Although I would love to have one eventually in my gym, it wont be in the next few weeks (by a few months/years margin).  So where can I actually get to do those exercises shown on the horsie?  The benches don't seem high enough for them... 

 

2) Some push/pull exercises I'd been treating separately are treated sequentially.  For example lateral pushing and vertical pushing seem to be sequentially related in F1 rather than parallel progressions.  I'd always treated the two separately and have different progressions depending on what I am focusing on.  For example my ring dip is currently much stronger than my pushup because I have been focusing on bettering my muscle ups.  I can easily do 5x6r of full rom ring dips with hands close to the shoulders (thumb could touch shoulders if extended), But I have to check on where I am in terms of the pushups.  I've been throwing in some Ring Pushups with feet on a bosu ball (full instability) but my reps were in the 6-8 rep range.

 

I'm going to start trying out F1 this week hopefully but If I cant perform the PU mastery, that throws my regular, pretty strong ring dips out of the workout?  I've always felt these two pushing movements (similar to pullups and rows) were more parallel than sequential.

 

Thanks for any pointers.

Ian G Myers

If you are afraid of losing your dipping ability, there shouldn't be a problem with throwing in a few sets of ring dips after your workouts every once in a while. Definitely try the bench; mine is plenty big enough if i straddle my bent legs a bit. You might have to get creative!

Joshua Slocum

The foundation workout shouldn't take longer than 20-40 minutes depending on what exercises you're doing and how long you rest between exercises. Do the foundation work, and then work whatever else you please in your remaining strength training time. 

Mark Collins

I found the same with the push ups. I can do ring dips easily and kippingmuscle ups. I am working on a strict muscle up and HSPU.I have not done push ups in ages and struggled. In the past I could have got the 5x15r. I assumed that my horizontal pushing would be ok with dips, MU and handstand push up training. I was obviously wrong.