This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fsas - Straight Arm Work

Started by Jerry Mangona, February 3, 2013 · 5 Replies · 235 Views

Jerry Mangona

Over the last year, I've been gradually upping intensity on once per week 60s straight arm holds. I would do them on an incline...5 stairs up, then 3 stairs up, and now on the ground but putting my knees on the floor, so it's not my full bodyweight.

 

This progression has been slow, slow, slow...but it's also the first time I've been able to do straight arm work without injuring myself.

 

In the new F1, I notice that the first time that we introduce fully extended straight arms in the planche work is the full plank. Am I incorrect on that? Is there an earlier progression?

 

Or perhaps we're not supposed to do that with locked out arms yet?

 

Please advise...should I continue my gradual straight arm work so that by the time I get to the plank (which will be a while,) then it will be ready? Or did I miss some progressions?

 

Thanks,

Jerry

Nic Branson

The planks are the first time sensitive element for straight arm work. In some cases there may be a need for extra prep time. If you feel you need the more gradual build up, other than the shorter hold times at full plank then by all means prep slower. Do not rush your joints and connective tissue, if they are not ready then they are not ready.

markp

The full plank you're talking about shouldn't put a lot of stress on the elbows. It's not a planche. It's simply standing in a push up position. Your arms should be perpendicular to the floor. The stress on the elbows will come when you start with the Planche leans (sPL/PE5).

 

Did you have elbow problems in that past by standing in a static push up position? If so, perhaps now the problem will be less because if you follow the program as it is written down, you will start with 3x12sec holds in the first week and build up gradually until you reach 5x60sec 3 months later. This may allow your elbows to get used to this.

Cole Dano

Yes do as Nic says.

 

You can still follow the programming of the book. You can have your own SPE (Special Preparatory Element) and follow the programming and mobility in the book.

Jerry Mangona

Ah yes...3 x 12s totally doable. Yes, I'd had elbow problems earlier, but it's also because I was starting at 1 x 60s. New scaling should be fine. God forbid that it's not, it can't take me that long to get up to 3 x 12s.  THIS PROGRAM IS AWESOME.

 

Thanks to all - Jerry

Cole Dano

Better still.

 

From my own experience the programming schedule is very effective.