This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Warmups And Stetching

Started by Xcel, February 3, 2013 · 11 Replies · 643 Views

Xcel

Being a complete newbie to GST, should I be incorporating any stretching into my warmups, post workout, or off days?  Any recommendations on what stretches to do?  From a complete newb's perspective I feel this is the only area this book failed to touch on.  Otherwise it is extremely comprehensive and detailed and I am beyond excited to start my first workouts tomorrow.  Got so excited last week about this F1 release that I re-sprained one ankle, redeveloped PF in the other foot and and pinched a nerve in my neck giving me pins and needs in my left arm/hand.  What a way to start!  Did I mention I'm injury prone?

Coach Sommer

The Foundation Series is not intended to address stretching.  That is what the upcoming Stretch Series is specifically for.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Xcel
Coach Sommer said:

The Foundation Series is not intended to address stretching.  That is what the upcoming Stretch Series is specifically for.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Didn't even know one was coming!  How soon until you think that is released?  I will surely be purchasing it.  In the meantime, I don't want to pull from any items you have for sale in the future, but is there a direction you can point me in?  Thanks!

INA
Coach Sommer said:

That is what the upcoming Stretch Series is specifically for.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

I hope the Stretch Series does not end up being like Liquid Steel™ - alluded to many times, told it was 'forthcoming' but never materializing. Nevertheless, deeply enthusiastic about it. Will this include the same exercises as in Kit's "Stretching and Flexibility" book or is separate material, or some overlap, some new?

 

 

Coach Sommer
INA said:

I hope the Stretch Series does not end up being like Liquid Steel™ - alluded to many times, told it was 'forthcoming' but never materializing. Nevertheless, deeply enthusiastic about it. Will this include the same exercises as in Kit's "Stretching and Flexibility" book or is separate material, or some overlap, some new?

 

- You have misunderstood what has happened with Liquid Steel™.  You are already in possession of a portion of it.  It simply did not materialize in a single stand alone volume.  It has been broken down into individual components and then placed as integrated mobility in the various GB Courses in the exact spots where needed.  Which in the end I deemed a far more efficient use of the information that simply presenting the information to you in bulk and letting you figure out for yourself when and where to implement it.

 

- A stretch module is already available for students who attend one of the three day GB Seminars in AZ.

 

- There is no overlap between any of the materials in any of the courses.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

INA
Coach Sommer said:

- There is no overlap between any of the materials in any of the courses.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

I think I am a little confused with the different vocabulary between course, module, seminar and series.

 

Currently, I am supposing 'course' to mean a component of the seminar.

 

Maybe I just misunderstood your first post. Is the upcoming Stretch Series a 'seminar course' or will it be a downloadable version like Foundation 1? If it is the latter, what I really meant to say earlier was, will your stretch series book make Kit's Stretching Flexibility Book/DVD redundant? In other words will it be:

             - same end goals or 'poses' (pancakes, butterflies, deep lunges, etc), similar progressions to get there

             - same end goals, different progressions to get there

             - different end goals altogether

 

Sorry to sound confusing. I have Kit's book and material, but when you said in an earlier post, that you were both working on a stretching series together, I thought that might mean that he (Kit's) thinks his book (stretching and flexibility) perhaps needs to be integrated with your work to be the best instruction out there.

 

In the end, all I am after are the best teachers with the best teaching material.

Thank you kindly

Coach Sommer

- A course is what Foundation One is.

 

- A series is a group of courses; e.g. F1, F2, F3, F4 are all together considered the Foundation Series.

 

- Kit is the author of the forthcoming Stretch series.  They will follow the same format as F1.

 

- A module is an instructional block at a GB workshop or seminar.

 

- There is no content overlap in terms of specifics for any of the courses.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Zach Daniel

What other series do we have to look forward to besides the foundation, handstand, and the stretch series?

Arto

.

Adriano Augusto

To OP and his question about warm up, in F1 there is a specific Warming Up part, that seems very logical and clear to me.

 

About stretching, we have to wait. 

Joshua Slocum
Xcel said:

Being a complete newbie to GST, should I be incorporating any stretching into my warmups, post workout, or off days?  Any recommendations on what stretches to do?  From a complete newb's perspective I feel this is the only area this book failed to touch on.  Otherwise it is extremely comprehensive and detailed and I am beyond excited to start my first workouts tomorrow.  Got so excited last week about this F1 release that I re-sprained one ankle, redeveloped PF in the other foot and and pinched a nerve in my neck giving me pins and needs in my left arm/hand.  What a way to start!  Did I mention I'm injury prone?

Dedicated stretching work should come at the end of your workout. As mentioned, F1 is not a stretching book, so you're a bit on your own in terms of determining programming (at least until "Stretching 1" comes out). 

Sam Carr

I just jog for 5 min, then do some light active stretching for all the main joints. Including run, it takes like 10 min total. Then start the F1 exercises