This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GB WOD Structure Adjustment

Started by Coach Sommer, December 23, 2008 · 8 Replies · 2,598 Views

Coach Sommer
I will not be posting GB WODs which contain strength training components which have not been thoroughly discussed and presented in both book and DVD form.

Perhaps a compromise on the current reduced structure of the GB WODs is possible. The GB WODs could be extended, months ahead of time, to include SOME joint preparation, handstand work, ring strength work (on a very basic level) and dynamic work. The GB WODs will however be restricted to elements which have been presented either in Building the Gymnastic Body, Companion DVD set, Gymnastic Bodies YouTube video clips and my articles and essays here on the forum.

I will begin posting GB WODs which incorporate all of the strength training components on this coming Thursday (Merry Christmas :D!).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

Fantastic! Thanks Coach!

Merry Christmas

Blairbob

Very, very cool.

theshrink

Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too!

gymrob

Merry Christmas!

Out of interest are the ring strength and dynamic components only for those that feel they have a solid foundation of basic strength like where it says in the book you should have a solid level of basic strength before training these components?

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

Excellent point. At this time, the ring strength and dynamic strength elements contained within the GB WODs will be very basic in nature. This will continue until the relevant texts (All Muscle No Iron and The Dynamic Physique) are available. However, if at any time you feel that physically that the other components are beyond your current abilities, I would recommend focusing solely on developing a sound foundation of basic strength as I have outlined in the first two GB WODs.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Harout Aintablian

Thank You Coach...Merry Christmas

gymrob

I was just wondering...When following the WOD's, is it possible/ best to operate on a steady state cycle of 8-12 weeks. The reason I ask is that with the WOD's, the actual number of times that you perform each of the exercises (so far over the course of 2 weeks) is less than if following a basic strength only workout (where in the case of the rotation of planes example in the book they are performed once a week).

Hope this made sense.

Chris H Laing
gymrob said:
I was just wondering...When following the WOD's, is it possible/ best to operate on a steady state cycle of 8-12 weeks. The reason I ask is that with the WOD's, the actual number of times that you perform each of the exercises (so far over the course of 2 weeks) is less than if following a basic strength only workout (where in the case of the rotation of planes example in the book they are performed once a week).

Hope this made sense.

I know this is kind of a late response, but in case you're still wondering, I dont think a steady state cycle could be used for the GB wods, because, like you said, you aren't performing the same exercises every week. Since you aren't doing them every week, theres no way to adjust to the intensity (overload, load, underload) so a steady state cycle cant work.

And if I'm wrong, hopefully my comment with spur someone more knowledgeable to answer.