some non gymnastic skills

Started by Edward Smith, February 16, 2008 · 2 Replies · 2,502 Views

Edward Smith

this is mainly addressed at Ido but if anyone else knows anything about these skills please comment

i was wondering about butterfly kicks and twists, Ido i know they're really wushu skills but are they or anything like them in capoiera? and if so any training tips for them? also i know this skill is in gymnastics and capoeira, flairs, i'd like your training tips on it from the gymnastic and capoeira practitioner.

thanks in advance

Ed

Ido Portal

Butterfly kicks...

I feel this medium (internet forum) is a bit limited to explain anything that will be of value in that area.

Maybe in the future I will post some video tutorials of the progression I use to teach BT, but I'm sure you can find enough of those on the net.

With that in mind, take this into consideration:

It is a simple skill that look complex. It involves 3 phases -

a.get above the ground with a butterfly ariel, make sure you reach a position completely parallel to the ground in maximum height.

b.twist around the vertical axis (runs through your body)of the body without changing the body position. (keep it tight)

c.open a leg to come down to the ground once you complete enough of the twist, and simultanisly lift the upper body.

Common errors:

1.Twisting early, without reaching maximum height.

2.Breaking the body line during twist.

3.Comming down with the leg in part c, but without lifting the upper body.

Good luck.