Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Been Away: What How Is Foundations 4 Courses Different From Btgb?

ASForum

Been away: What how is Foundations 4 Courses different from BtGB?  

I've had BtGB for a while and even purchased the PDF ebook that coach had released. 

I havent been on the forums for a while so I was wondering how this is different and what's new/ additional in it. 

If there is a place/ thread where this has been outlined, please point me to it. :) 

It's kind of late night 2:30 am here and I just saw Coach's email so was wondering, wow, I've missed a lot. 

Joshua Slocum

BtGB is a 'how-to' book: it presents exercises and instructs you on programming, and then leaves you to figure out the rest for yourself. Foundation is a comprehensive strength-training program that precisely lays out every step along the way. Foundation lays out every day's strength workout for you, so you don't need to think about programming. Foundation provides only strength and mobility work, though. Skill work, handstand work and flexibility work is not included. 

BtGB is sort of like a map with some interesting, far-away locations marked. Foundation is a like GPS that gives you step-by-step directions for reaching those locations. 

Edit: I said above that there is no flexibility work. This is not accurate. The mobility work includes a good deal of stretching, and will help you achieve some stretch positions. The focus of the book is not on developing maximal flexibility, but it will guide you through developing the flexibility you'll need for the 7 fundamental elements.

Larry Roseman

You know I assumed it covered flexiblilty since it covered mobility if it's required in order to do the elements.

No? I just bought #1 - 5 seconds ago.

Are there special flexiblity requirements that have to be met in order to do the progressions?

For example,my pike flexiblity is fair, back bridge poor, shoulder fair to poor, wrist fair...

The Foundation Series covers Pike and Bridge Flexibility as well as Shoulder, Lat, Oblique and Hip mobility/flexibility.

Larry Roseman

The Foundation Series covers Pike and Bridge Flexibility as well as Shoulder, Lat, Oblique and Hip mobility/flexibility.

Whew! :)   Thanks Cole.

Actually I'm going through that now and saw those elements - luckily splits flexiliby not required. I hope. Mine is the worst.

Still I'm looking at someting like curl up and my body doesn't do that shape. My spine isn't as supple as a teenager's.  Although I appreciate the excellence of the demonstrator, to be honest I would really prefer to see an example of what's a realistic goal for a mature adult who is training this the first time, as this is the target audience. Or at least one of several target audiences.

When you refer to progressions, will there be progressions to get the body to that point as the video, or are the progressions just an increasing time and reps thing?

Also, there is a leg holder there. What if you don't have a thing that high to lle on or someone to hold the legs what's the approach?

Wonder if there should be a dedicated support thread/faq for every exercise as I'm sure you will be getting duplicates....

Xiaopeng Backward: Is this perhaps mislabled? I don't know the exercise but it seems more forward than backward. Probably not but mentioning just in case.

Edited by FutureisNow
  • Upvote 1

Been away: What how is Foundations 4 Courses different from BtGB?  

I've had BtGB for a while and even purchased the PDF ebook that coach had released. 

I havent been on the forums for a while so I was wondering how this is different and what's new/ additional in it. 

If there is a place/ thread where this has been outlined, please point me to it. :)

It's kind of late night 2:30 am here and I just saw Coach's email so was wondering, wow, I've missed a lot. 

Judging from your posting history (with the injuries, trouble programming and prerequisites), foundation 1 looks to be pretty much exactly what you need.

Joshua Naterman

I have to agree. Your body will increase it's abilities slowly over time, but remember what Kit is always very careful to point out:

Your flexibility gains won't always be noticeable from one week to the next, but at the end of the year you will have made serious progress.

Do them because they are part of the plan, and let the improvements come as they come.

Regarding the demonstrators, it just wouldn't have been practical to produce a Course with multiple demonstrators at various levels and ages. Since Coach has set a certain standard it's only logical the demonstrations should be up to that standard.

Also keep in mind that with movements like Curl Ups, you have a lot of time to work with them and perfect them. Just put them into your warm up rotation after you've completed them. Or simply stay on them for an extra cycle. The previous element will also help pave the way.

As for adult vs. teenager, I'm 50 and have no difficulty performing Curl Ups to a high standard. I've seen plenty of youngsters who can't it's not purely an age related matter. It's what you have been doing up to now, and now that you are here, what you are doing to change it.

Take it slow, work methodically, and be mindful, with these 'Preparatory' elements and it will start to come together. To be cliche, It's a journey.

• Upvote 2

Judging from your posting history (with the injuries, trouble programming and prerequisites), foundation 1 looks to be pretty much exactly what you need.

Well, my luck has not been great when it comes to the slopes of snow :)  1 year: Micro Fracture in Lower Rib - Next year: Knee - Meniscus

Well, hoping to get consistent again.