Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nice Basic circle development video/article

Blairbob

http://www.gymnast.com/pages/article/ArticleDetail.direct?component=pagination.paginationRightArrowDirectLink&session=T&sp=2&sp=X&state:pages/article/ArticleDetail=%7Ccontent%7Chro.9520.article.Article

In lieu of the fact, that I've yet to ever film what I use as my basic guide for circles for my boys, this is pretty good. While it only shows circles and doesn't break down positions and steps, those can be broken down from this and it's better than anything I can remember off youtube.

• 2 months later...
Jacob Marks

Hello

I have been coaching competitive boys gymnastics for 8 years at Lakettes Gymnastics Academy in Pennsylvania. I first would like to say how much this forum knowledge from all the the coaches has helped develop a high level of strength and technical execution with our teams.

I am starting to begin to teach circles to a new group of 4-6 year olds, they can do P-bar upperarm circles well and bucket circles and P-bar walks ok, floor walks with feet on a sliding dish, I was hoping we could get a discussion going on about more helpful drills that are being used to make circles stronger and transition to mushroom and pommeless pommel. We should also dicsuss what China is doing at this age to set a great foundation for circles! Coach Sommer can you described some of your begining progressions before you said you strongly believed in Eduard Iarov's methods, could you explain why his method is your method of choice?

Thanks for all the help

Coach Jacob Marks

How to make circles stronger :arrow: correct technique and practice (alot) along with circle walks on a sliding dish.

Progressions:

Start with bucket, then remove it, when they are good start doing on lower mushroom, after lower mushroom work on a low horse without pommel and legs, then add pommels and so on

I'd love to know what China is doing with their basic circle and pommel work. I've only seen a few videos here and there.

I think a lot about that is being super attentive to detail.

I'd love to know what China is doing with their basic circle and pommel work. I've only seen a few videos here and there.

I think a lot about that is being super attentive to detail.

I think nothing special, just perfect techniqe and no deviations from that in huge volume of circles. Pommel horse is basicly just corect circle.

Coach Sommer

Like myself, China also focuses on developing a "hang" during the circle. This of course results in an interesting intellectual dichotomy for the athlete as the arms must be strong and the body vigorously extended while simultaneously the shoulder girdle must be relaxed to generate swing and momentum. To this end they work on the mushroom for only a very brief time and then for the next few years spend a great deal of time on a short pommel buck.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jacob Marks

Coach

With Level 5 being so simple what are some goals you set for your 7-8 year olds as far a pommel horse development goes. Personally, I agree more with the pommeless future star side with pommel instead of doing the double pommel circles too early at Level 6-7. Thanks for the Video Clip link, the boys will enjoy it!

Coach Marks

Coach Sommer

The following progression will help to get you started:

1) upper arm circles

2) mushroom circles + high single pommel loop work (a special piece of equipment that I had custom-made years ago that is only about 12" wide [just enough room for a single pommel] and about 2.5 feet high)

3) back loops (without pommels) + high single pommel work

4) front loops (without pommels) + high single pommel work

How much progress an athlete will make will of course depend on their level of talent and degree of commitment. Of critical importance here, even more so than an athlete's level of talent and commitment, is how thorough the coach's technical understanding of a fundamental circle is. It is absolutely imperative that the basic circle be taught correctly and continually refined. This task is complicated enough that it will require a minimum of 3-4 years to achieve and oft times considerably more. However, once this technical foundation is in place and stable, subsequent development of higher level pommel horse skills will be relatively rapid. Without this technical foundation, the athlete's pommel skills will always remain subpar; irregardless of how much time and effort are invested in trying to develop upper level pommel skills.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Romulo Malta
Hi the article refered to in the original post seems to have been removed could anyone forward a copy to me?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd like to see it as well and since the original post became a sticky it is not much useful without a valid link (besides the good info below)

I will see about zipping up the video files I have from that article and putting them on some sort of public file sharing service in a few.

In the meantime, a coach on chalkbucket.com just posted this video for circle progressions.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
I will see about zipping up the video files I have from that article and putting them on some sort of public file sharing service in a few.

In the meantime, a coach on chalkbucket.com just posted this video for circle progressions.

I'm mostly self trained, but I had a coach tell me one time that I should start in a seal, arch my back as much as I can and keep my chest up when starting circles. The boy in the video doesn't arch his back starting circles, does it matter? Also, is there any difference in how circles should be started depending on if you do them on a mushroom or on the floor?

Coach Sommer

Those progressions are actually most useful as refinement tools once a raw basic circle has already been attained. If focused on prematurely, they will actually greatly retard the athlete's ability to feel the swing of the circle. In my experience, the most efficient drill for initially learning how to circle is the upper arm circles mentioned in my prior response.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 8 months later...
Juan Beltran

Really cool video. I spent a bunch of time the other day looking for a good video to teach me circles and this definitetly is one of the best ones.

Juan Beltran

Coach, do you have videos on the exercise for the circle progressions that you are referring to. I try to teach myself how to do them. Thank you. I going to start with the conditioning exercises in the video.

• 3 months later...
Alessandro Mainente

how mnny times i have to practice circles? 2-3 times is adequate if you think that i'm not a gymnast?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Nope. Original video and website in the first post is deadski. All the others posted in the thread still work though.

• Upvote 1

Oh :( Thanks anyways! Do you remember what progressions the articles entailed though?

He is a great Coach vannybute!

I mean, he doesn´t need to remember that  :P

post video or feel free to ask me any questions about the circle progressions themselves.

I´d rather rephrase the question to:

Dear Coach Blairbob, could you please tell us about the circle progressions that you use? ;)

Also, there are articles about it written by Coach Sommer in the website.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic