Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posterior Pelvic Tilt

Marko Petrunic

Marko Petrunic

Hello fellow HS enthusiasts, I am seeking advice regarding my line.

Currently, I am working on two main areas - opening the shoulders and flexing the pelvis posteriorly. Regarding shoulder flexibility, I am doing a bunch of exercises and experiencing solid progress.

But, I am stuck with posterior pelvic tilt. I don't have a problem with that move while doing a handstand to wall, nor while lying on my back and pushing the lower back to the ground. But, when I do it in a freestanding HS my hips just start to close and legs move forward. Sucking the belly in doesn't seem to help much, nor complete body tension (abdominal wall, glutes etc.). Can you please suggest possible reasons for this and exercises to eliminate it?

Also, the picture suggests that my elbows are bent, but they really aren't. What is the reason for this perception? Thanks!

post-3849-0-32190600-1359220408_thumb.jp

Niklas Slotte

Two things come to mind:

- In your chest-to-wall HS you're used to applying the hollow shape with the help of the wall. You may not be leaning heavily into it, but its there giving you a support point. Then as you try to do it freestanding you are missing the support point making it difficult to get the same shape with the same contraction pattern.

- Or the wall might give you a false sense of confidence, again. The shape you are using in the CTW HS may not simply work for a freestanding HS. Regardless of body shape your COM (center of mass) needs to be on top of your support (the hands). If the shape isn't following this rule you will break form somewhere in order to stay up, or else you'll fall.

So check your CTW HS shape (good body line, CLOSE to the wall). If its there, you just need to get used to balancing with that form. See if this helps. 

PS. The elbows may appear bent due to the carrying angle of the elbow. It's just an anatomical fact which varies in people, like hyperextension. The carrying angle is the angulation of the arm and forearm, sideways flexion for a simple term. Google it for more information.

Marko Petrunic

Thanks guys.

Niklas, when I mentioned wall HS I meant back-to-wall HS. Thank you for the carrying angle insight.

Nyikhaj, I have no problem doing the forward bend and bridge. I suppose I just have to keep contracting my pelvic muscles while not letting hips to close.

I also think that it's just a matter of retroversing the pelvis while keeping the hips open. Like said before, when facing the wall, you slightly press the top of your toes on the wall. So when you do it freestanding, you have to feel like your hip flexors are stretched. If you want to see the difference, do a hollow position on your back, and try to move your legs without losing the pelvic tilt. You might need to move one leg at a time, but you'll notice, your legs can move independently from your pelvis, and if you try to get your legs lower while still having your pelvis tilted, you'll feel your hip flexors stretching a bit. You can try to find the same sensation while doing a freestanding handstand.

You can also do it one leg at a time if you do a handstand facing the wall with your hands about a feet away from it. Start with both legs on the wall, and keeping one foot on it, align your other leg with the rest of your body. Like that, you can find a straight line with this leg, then join it with the other leg. You will need to either film yourself, or to have a friend help you correct your position.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Marko Petrunic

Hello again guys,

I've been following your advice on posterior pelvic tilt and here is the first sign of progress. Of course, I am still working hard on my shoulder flexibility. But, the main thing that I'm not satisfied with is my elbow carrying angle. Is there a way to eliminate this improper alignment and is it connected to shoulder flexibility? Thanx.

Preview: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/gbad.jpg/