Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Antibiotics Cause Lymph Nodes To Swell?

Samuli Jyrkinen

Samuli Jyrkinen

Hey all, 

Serious problem and a serious question. I have been only on three different antibiotics regimen during my whole life(all as an adult, I was pretty healthy thorough my whole childhood hence I never visited doctors) and every single time I have got one or more swollen painless lymph nodes in my neck, jaw or face in general. The problem is that at first they are pretty swollen and then they gradually diminish - but this can take from months to a year! 

First time I got a swollen lymph node in my jaw when I was on acne antibiotics(antibiotics for acne are useless, fix your nutrition instead!), during this time I thought it was just a huge colorless zit but now I know better. Then I had one regimen for general illness and now just a month ago I had a regimen for a sternum problem(some strong joint antibiotics) -> causing ~5 lymph nodes to swell in my neck & jaw pretty badly, the lymp nodes only appear in the neck/face area. They are colorless, painless and they are diminishing every week but they really disturb me. I am very healthy and feeling great otherwise.

What should I do? I know that in 6 months they should be almost gone but can this be a sign of something more serious? Cancer? Or is it just an allergic reaction or something? The problem is that if I visit a doctor, they just order more antibiotics causing more swelling...

Thanks all :\

Philip Papandrea

Hi Samui,

I would definitely see a doctor and possibly even get a second opinion if your doctor just sends you away. Not to scare you but my sister had about 5 swollen lymph nodes in her neck and it wasn't until one doctor suggested a biopsy that she discovered she had cancer. Thankfully it was caught early enough that chemo worked and the cancer is gone now. Not saying this is your case but you just don't want to ignore something like that and hope it goes away.

Phil

Daniel Burnham

No one here can give you medical advice. Both because most are not qualified and because it really isn't ethical or legally responsible. If you have questions talk to your doctor or get a second opinion.

Samuli Jyrkinen

Okay, thanks all though. I think I take this a tad more seriously, will be contacting a doctor next week. Better safe than sorry.

• Upvote 1

Samuli Jyrkinen

Visited a nurse(I get free health care as a university student in my country this way)... got an appointment to a doctor with expertise in skin problems. The nurse was almost certain that these aren't lymph nodes but under skin lumps/zits. Probably a side-effect from the antibiotics I had. A good relief though, I was mentally prepared for cancer... I will do tests with the doctor to be certain.

Larry Roseman

When you have a serious infection, bacteria is filtered in the lymph glands and collects there in large amounts (for extermination by lymphocytes) and causes swelling. You also get antibiotics at the same time but this doesn't cause the swelling - it just happens around the same time. Not medical advice just a thought. Let us know what the doctor or nurse says .

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.