Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Workout Order To Maximize Progress

Dillon Kolacz

Dillon Kolacz

I wasn't sure which forum to post this question in, but I thought I'd put it here since I like to train on rings... and the skills are very rings related.

My question is... Should I train static/dynamic exercises that are helping me work towards Maltese/planche/iron cross on rings before work out of the day conditioning or other conditioning similar to WOD? 

Ideally I'd like to maximize my progress... I've currently been doing WOD then doing static/dynamic exercises for the skills mentioned above on rings. My teammate wants to do them before WOD, and I can see why because after WOD it's hard to do you best statics... but the muscles are very fatigued and I feel like I'm working them harder. 

Any thoughts? Does the order even matter?

I too would like to know something similar, though my question is what is the best way to maximize progress toward competitive level ring strength? I know finesse comes with time, but what is the best way to build strength for competition and such? If I started young, I would be more than happy to do the 15 + years of training, but at my age, I need quicker, more ring specific stuff.

Daniel Burnham

Kolacz, are you actually doing specific training for crosses and planche on rings. I ask because if you are doing specific movements like cross pull outs you will want to do those while fresh. At least that is what I have experienced. It also depends on if you are doing conditioning for those or specific holds.

Daniel Burnham

AlphaKrotos, unfortunately there are no shortcuts. The only short paths lead to injury. Follow the progressions coach has outlined in the book. You should have finished all the movements in the book before high level competition training becomes a reality at your age.

Things like crosses will take years to learn and require a ton of foundational strength.

Joshua Slocum
I wasn't sure which forum to post this question in, but I thought I'd put it here since I like to train on rings... and the skills are very rings related.

My question is... Should I train static/dynamic exercises that are helping me work towards Maltese/planche/iron cross on rings before work out of the day conditioning or other conditioning similar to WOD? 

Ideally I'd like to maximize my progress... I've currently been doing WOD then doing static/dynamic exercises for the skills mentioned above on rings. My teammate wants to do them before WOD, and I can see why because after WOD it's hard to do you best statics... but the muscles are very fatigued and I feel like I'm working them harder. 

Any thoughts? Does the order even matter?

I too would like to know something similar, though my question is what is the best way to maximize progress toward competitive level ring strength? I know finesse comes with time, but what is the best way to build strength for competition and such? If I started young, I would be more than happy to do the 15 + years of training, but at my age, I need quicker, more ring specific stuff.

As a general rule, I prefer working static strength before WOD-style circuits. 

In terms of gaining the strength for high-level static holds, the quickest way is to start by building a solid foundation. There are no hard and fast rules for how much of a foundation is enough. In terms of strength, a good heuristic would be to get a full-lay back lever (with palms facing down, not up) and front lever, a straddle planche on floor, a bent-arm press on rings, a solid handstand, and a wide-arm muscle-up. You will also need good shoulder mobility (I attempted to start training a cross with poor shoulder mobility, and ended up with a shoulder impingement that took about a month to heal), which can be achieved through wall extensions.

Without those prerequisites, it is unlikely that you will be able to productively work on a cross or rings planche. 

Stefan Hinote
AlphaKrotos, unfortunately there are no shortcuts. The only short paths lead to injury. Follow the progressions coach has outlined in the book. You should have finished all the movements in the book before high level competition training becomes a reality at your age. Things like crosses will take years to learn and require a ton of foundational strength.

I need to learn it by tomorrow. :lol:

As a general rule, I prefer working static strength before WOD-style circuits. 

I tried this out today, and it was possibly one of the best workouts I've done in a while!

Dillon Kolacz

Kolacz, are you actually doing specific training for crosses and planche on rings. I ask because if you are doing specific movements like cross pull outs you will want to do those while fresh. At least that is what I have experienced. It also depends on if you are doing conditioning for those or specific holds.

Yeah, this is for competition rings... I can do a back lever/decent front lever/8 muscle ups without kipping... I have pretty much the foundation for strength besides a planche on the floor or on parallets. I'm 5'11... I'm just going to put that out there and blame my height for not being able to do planche after the couple years that I've trained. Still don't have a full split either for straddle. I'm 20 now... started when I was 18. 

Because I only have 2.5 years left at my University, I just thought I'd get a head start on training assisted maltese on two blocks/cross pulls/cross dips/cross pushups/planche on rings and floor/backup rise planche drills.... planche pushups on pommel etc.. Trying to do everything I can to work those muscles on the days that I'm supposed to. 

This next week I'll give the statics before WOD a try and see how it goes :). Thank you guys!