Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Huge Doms From Straight Arm Strength Training

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

Ever since i fixed my form on static hold ( The L-tuck ) in which i didnt have my arms completely straigth but a  little bent.

So i fixed it with doing the exercise with my elbows locked. Bu the next 2 days i am experiencing big muscle soreness in the upper triceps. ( Yes, its muscle soreness not an injury ) Although the movement with straigth arms seem a little easier than having the arms bent.

Are my triceps weak ? 

Do you experience anything like this ?

Can i workout or should i wait till my arms recover?  ( Everything else has recovered excluding the upper triceps)

Thank you !

Joshua Slocum

DOMS is a common response to new training stimulus. Locking your elbows significantly increases the demands of an L-sit on your triceps. DOMS also tends to peak on the second day after training. What you're describing sounds perfectly normal. 

The presence of DOMS is a sign that the damage you did to your muscles during your previous workout has not yet been fully repaired. You certainly can workout, but if you repeatedly work out while you're still sore, you'll eventually end up with overtrained muscles. My recommendation would be to work out, but take it easy on anything involving the triceps. Lighter exercise is supposedly beneficial to DOMS because it encourages blood flow to the area. 

Connor Davies

Straight arm work is a completely different beast to bent arm work.  I've noticed huge burn in my biceps after doing dead hangs, which far exceeds what I feel after pullups, rows ect.

Maximilian Schmahl

Yep, the DOMS is definitely much harder for straight arm work, especially in the smaller muscles like triceps and biceps. I've never had DOMS from stuff like dips oder pullups, but when I'm doing lots of mannas I really often get a little sore in my triceps a day or two afterwards. Same goes for biceps when doing lots of IC/maltese work.

Straight arm work is a completely different beast to bent arm work.  I've noticed huge burn in my biceps after doing dead hangs, which far exceeds what I feel after pullups, rows ect.

Yep, the DOMS is definitely much harder for straight arm work, especially in the smaller muscles like triceps and biceps. I've never had DOMS from stuff like dips oder pullups, but when I'm doing lots of mannas I really often get a little sore in my triceps a day or two afterwards. Same goes for biceps when doing lots of IC/maltese work.

That's because you guys are not comparing it against actual bent-arm exercises that target the biceps more. Chin-ups don't work the biceps that much and there is even less with pull-ups. Try heavy bicep curls or exercises like the inverted curl or BL curl and I can guarantee you will get more DOMS in the biceps than even planche or maltese work.

Connor Davies

True, but I'm comparing a static vs dynamic exercise.  The two are nearly identical except in one I'm moving through a full range of motion and the other I'm simply hanging there.  So really, I'm comparing two different variations on the same exercise, not "Oh exercise A gives me hella burn compared to exercise B" because the two are completely different, unrelated exercises.

Joshua Naterman

This means your biceps are too short. Don't worry, they'll lengthen on their own as you continue to do hangs.

Never assume that a muscle is working because it's supposed to be working. Just know that you feel what you feel, and that it had something to do with what you did.

Biceps should not be working in a dead hang. The only place you should really get tired is in the hands and forearms (eventually), but it can be almost anywhere at first (hip flexors, upper back, triceps, you name it) because people have so many imbalances due to our lifestyles.

Joshua Naterman
Hi !

Ever since i fixed my form on static hold ( The L-tuck ) in which i didnt have my arms completely straigth but a  little bent.

So i fixed it with doing the exercise with my elbows locked. Bu the next 2 days i am experiencing big muscle soreness in the upper triceps. ( Yes, its muscle soreness not an injury ) Although the movement with straigth arms seem a little easier than having the arms bent.

Are my triceps weak ? 

Do you experience anything like this ?

Can i workout or should i wait till my arms recover?  ( Everything else has recovered excluding the upper triceps)

Thank you !

You're fine, and that does in fact mean you are doing things correctly. Straight arm shoulder extension is just about the only thing that really works the long head of the triceps. It's a relatively small piece of the muscle, and it connects to the shoulder blade.

When your arms are truly straight you have to rely on the scapulohumeral musculature for shoulder stability exclusively, and they have to do all the work that your elbow muscles (so to speak) were doing before.

That is a general theme in proper gymnastics training, and is part of the reason why we always say that bent arm strength is a completely different thing than straight arm strength, and that there are strength gaps that no amount of bent arm work can fill in.