Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

43 y.o. likes Ido's Olifting article but.......

kevp951

Hi again guys,

As you read above I'm 43 so I don't have years to develop myself. In fact I want to be doing roundoff backtucks by summer, both in the gym and on ground. I want to be able to jump as high as possible because I feel much better about tucking if I have some air. I found some stuff in Coach Sommer's article here: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=736&p=2909&hilit=rebound#p2909 At this point I'm just learning the roundoff and I am working on technique to get the best possible rebound height available to me. I have been studying Alex Sayhi on youtube (notice how he keeps looking forward as he tucks) and I am pretty convinced his technique is very good???? (I'm new to this, look him up on youtube and report back to me please) Anyway I'm getting a weighted vest for Xmas with 20 1 pound weights (adj from 0 to 20 lbs, evenly distributed around vest). That and some of coaches book exercises to build a basic strength and a little explosiveness. Where would the vest be best applied??? half squats, jumping on a mini tramp???? coaches deck squats - JUMPING variation wearing the weighted vest (and how much weight to start? )???? Thanks once more for any and all input. p.s. I got my first bucket circles last night with toes fully extended all the way around...:) still working on the forearm shear tho, it still returns if i try mushroom circles. I am doing russian dips, rice bucket, etc to fix the problem thanks as usual, Kev P

at :09 he is arching, leaning back and not setting straight. It's ok for backyard tumbling, but I'm a snob.

Start using your vest for deck squats and jumping squat jumps for distance or height. If you can already do pistols, then you can start using them for weighted pistols.

The weight vest is also pretty good for doing weighted HSPU or planche/pushup/dip work eventually.

O.K. take a look at the vid "Alex Sayhi and Tassilo South of France 06" on youtube at .28 seconds and another at 1:03 Look at his roundoff backtuck and tell me what you think about that. That's what i'm trying to mimic. I was gonna post a link but there's the derogatory word (or two) in the vid so i decided not to. thanks, kev

Yeah his form looks good. However when you are actually learning it'll be hard to imitate someones form, your best bet is to have someone critique your technique every time you do it as your are striving to learn so you can fix things a little at a time.

O.K. that sounds like a good approach. Do you think his height is coming MOSTLY from great technique or from superior athleticism??? I know both are a factor but I'm trying to concentrate my focus where I'll get the most bang for my buck (and time) thanks alot...

Its hard to tell from the video but I do have this to add a person with a good vertical might not be able to get a very high looking back tuck with bad technique (looking back and arching back, and doing so very early) where as a person with good technique can still make it look quite high given that he is at least somewhat athletic, I would imagine that guy falls in the second category but this would be pure speculation on my part.

When you see a standing back tuck done with good technique and a high vertical it is always obvious because both contribute greatly, passes (round of tuck or handspring tuck) on the other hand are more technique and rebound depended, then how high your vertical is.

Good for concrete tumbling. Well, everything past the rebound. I still wouldn't watch these to get an idea of what to strive for and look for. Sloppy basic tumbling. That's inefficiency and I dislike it for teaching. I was having hell with this the other day during the adults class. It's not because I find it more aesthetically pleasing or they should. It's just more efficient which will allow to pull tricks off easier and bigger.

Anyone have links to what is considered proper gymnastic technique for standing backtuck and roundoff backtuck? Looking for one that would make Blairbob proud :) I want my roundoff back to be as easy as possible. At 43 standing tucks seem to drain my energy a little too fast these days, although I'm hoping the recently started leg work will help to rectify the situation.

Well like I said it'll be really hard to try to copy someones form when learning these moves and doing it picture perfect. Watching helps but actually practicing and either video taping yourself or having a coach critique it will help the most.

If you want picture perfect form watch gymnasts, hard to find videos of them doing just single back tucks though. Here are some videos of non gymnasts or former gymnasts that in my opinion have pretty good form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_gxe_DefM - Lateef Crowder - btw not that its relevant but this guys arabians are awesome the move where he starts as a backtuck does half a spin after bouncing but before flipping and does a front tuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNEDK4cp ... re=related - Joe Eigo

I myself would be interested in blairbob's opinion on the above technique, not for all the moves just the round off tucks.

- Professional tumbling - even though its a spring floor they have a couple of slow motions and you really get a good idea of perfect form.

Hope this helps

PS. sorry the floor isn't spring apparently its some type of fiberglass