Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Can I Correct My Tuck Pl To Hs? (Video)

Gianluca G. Di Lernia

Gianluca G. Di Lernia

Hi everyone,

this is the link of an my video of a workout where I do some repetitios of tuck planche to handstand (0:22 of video):

I can't keep my back and arms straight, how can i correct this problem?

Thank you! :)

Timothy Aiken

Can you hold a good straight handstand? Work there and get strong HeSPUs before you start worrying about handstand presses. This is really just a lack of strength issue, it will come with time. You already have a good degree of shoulder strength, however I don't know how much the banana handstand is ingrained.

Gianluca G. Di Lernia

Thank you! Yes, i can hold a straight handstand, but when i do it from a tucked planche it's more difficult, and so i do a "banana" handstand XD

What we are running into here is the fact that you bend your arms.  You are training your body to basically do a HeSPU's.  A Tuck planche is poker straight arms and continue to remain straight the whole movment.  I can do them, and from what i see of myself, it almost looks like you are going from a tuck planche through the Adv. tuck planche, and then continue pushingthrough from there.  What you need to work on is going from a straight HS and slowly negative to a tuck planche with straight arms.  It sucks sometimes becasue its very difficult.  You want to make sure of one thing.  In this movment, the only real movment is in the shoulders.  From the HS you only move your shoulders forward, should you arch, bend your elbows, or try to compinsate any other way, it may take you shorter but you will not be doing it correctly.  It will almost be like your arms have a steele rod in them and your shoulders are the only thing with hinges.

let me know if this helps

-Ian

Yaad Mohammad

You're working with bend arm strength here. You need to lock your arms and lift your hips up over your shoulders. What you're doing now like Ian Legrow said, your body is basically doing HeSPU's. A good way to progress a tuck planche to handstand is by getting a 30+ sec tuck planche with a good hollow body. You can do this by protracting your scapula. Once you've got that, try to lift your hips over your shoulders. It's that simple. You can also try them on an elevated platform, makes it easier.

Gianluca G. Di Lernia

Wow, thank you guys! :) So i have to work on tuck planche (30 seconds is the goal) and negative reps with straight arms. How many times a week should I train?

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a fantastic example, i meant to post this last week but i have been busy.  This is more or les what you want to go for when doing a tuck planche HS.  again, mine is kind of sloppy but you get the idea
http://youtu.be/tNkVQ0nDwYE

Joshua Naterman

Training time is whatever you can handle, and what I do for my negative presses, which are in many ways negative flat tuck planche presses (because of my lack of hip flexibility) from HS, is to do 1-2 reps a few times almost every day, and 3-4 days per week I do long (for me) HS holds to near-failure on the wall, and then lower down as slowly as I can with straight arms.

This requires me to be in something of a pike, with my hands ~3 feet away from the wall, and then I slide the toes down while keeping my body straight, and come all the way down to 45 degrees. Over time I'll be doing that all the way to tuck planche, but I never did have a very rounded back.

The habit of keeping truly straight arms is difficult to develop at first, and it will help a LOT if you have someone watching you. That way you get in-the-moment feedback, you know? This is what will build both the strength and the movement pattern that you need to do the presses.

Ian is really moving along, great work sir!

Edit: At first, I could only handle doing this twice per week, but at this point I actually feel like I"m not doing ENOUGH if I'm not getting real work days at least 2 days per week, which for me is 2-3 super slow negative presses for 3-5 sets, AND doing wall handstand work on at least two other occasions. Every single time I come down, it is a negative press. I think it's taken me something like 8-10 weeks to build up to what I'm doing now, and I don't think I'll need, or be able to handle, much more than this level of strength work for these muscle groups.

• Upvote 1

Yaad Mohammad

This is not a fantastic example, i meant to post this last week but i have been busy.  This is more or les what you want to go for when doing a tuck planche HS.  again, mine is kind of sloppy but you get the idea

http://youtu.be/tNkVQ0nDwYE

I noticed something interesting. As soon as you lift your hips up, you go into an advanced tuck planche body position. Wouldn't it be better to maintain the tuck and get your hips in line and then stretch out the body? So basically, if you'd reverse your negative, you'd have the form I am talking about right now.

Edit:

Just tried it, can't get it right. Also, noticed that your shoulders very nice open in your handstand! Need to work on mine, any tips? This is my current tuck planche to handstand attempt: