Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Workout

Jeff Walker

I think I might go with option 1 now because this will give me 3 days rest, hitting each workout every 4th day.  For Legs I do Squat and Deads so I think 3 days rest will be needed between those workouts.  The 4 days in a row, Option 2, isnt bad its just that I dont think I need that frequent training for my legs and I think getting on the rings every 4th day would serve me better than every 5th day (option 2).

I know I need to let go of Free weights eventually/  its just a mental bock for me right now.  I just got 100lbs DBs for 4 reps which is a PR and I just cant let it go just yet.  

Joshua Slocum

If you do static holds and handstand work before the leg workout, that would work fine. If you want your leg workout to be dedicated to legs, I would recommend rings, legs, rings, rest. 

And there's no reason you have to entirely drop free-weights. If you enjoy doing free-weights, you could do a hybrid program. Maybe do a free-weights workout every fourth upper body day. Or make a fraction of your regular exercises free-weight exercises. 

On my legs day, I practice what I would call "Floor Skills" (Handstands, Frogstands, L-Sits)  I do them in between leg exercises.

Im curious how most people on this forum construct their split and how they work their body overall.  Do they do weights, do they do legs, do they suse splits or full body? etc.

FYI - I bought the BtGB because of all the kindness/helpfullness of everyone here.  I think its only right to support the forum - thanks again to everyone for all or their help so far.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't necessarily say it's too much time as you'd still be getting a good workout, but you may be limiting your progression, or at least substantially increasing the time it takes to progress to the next move.

Are you doing any of the fundamental static positions on any days?

Muscle Ups will require pullup and dip strength in combination with working the transition movement, and false grip.

A planche won't be trained on the rings at least until you can do one on the floor. L-sit->planche progressions.

Iron cross has many prereqs: rings -> support hold -> L-sit -> BL -> FL -> HS -> press to HS -> planche

So if your not working the progressions for planche, BL, FL, and HS work several times a week than I find it hard to believe for anyone to eventually achieve such goals as an iron cross or planche--or perhaps they would, but it would add years to the traditional average time frame. I'm probably not "spot on" on everything I pointed out, but it should suffice.

This is what I've put together for my training after reading the forums and BtGB: http://beta.stefanhinote.com/routine/

Others will follow the WODs, or kilroy template, but for whatever reason I never felt comfortable trying to follow either. Perhaps once I'm stronger and don't have to figure out the lesser progressions for the WODs than I'll do those.

Well my primary goal above all else is simply to gain muscle size and strength.  Im actually going to cut some weight, I am about 175 now and will go down to about 160 for the summer.

My thought is that by training on rings and doing some of these strength moves/exercises is that it will bring me closer to eventually achieving the impressive ring feats of strength but those feats are secondary goals to strength.  

I am working on the FSPs, specifically the Front/Back levers, planche, cross, L-sit on my upper training day.  Also working on Muscle up.  

On Lower Days, I will work handstands on the floor, frogstands, L-sits - stuff that I can do in between lower body exercises.  

I did another Ring workout today - my last workout was Sat and today wasnt very good.  I didnt feel as strong as my last workout.  I believe it was due to only having 2 days of rest, so I probably will move to  the 4 day split above and at least allow for 3-4 days rest between ring workouts. 

One thing that is especially frustrating is the muscleup.  Yesterday I studied the transition and false grip and I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how its done but today I tried it and I am still a ways away.  It was better but I still cannot get into the dip transition.  Its frustrating becuase I feel like I should be able to do them now as I have a pretty strong dip and pullup/chinup with rings.  Part of the problem is that while at the very end of a pullup I dont feel like I can pull IN and as HIGH/CLOSE enough to my chest to get over my hands rotated for the transition to dip.   I aslo dont feel like negatives are going to help as I tend to just fall out of the dip as well.  How can I get this move?

Also for Planche, I am doing a 2 different types of pushups on pararlettes; one with my feet on the wall - i can only mnage about 2,.5 reps.  Then I do a few sets on parallettes with my feet on a bench and I move my hands back towards my hip and my hands/wrists outand I really try to lean fwd.  These are a little easier than the wall version and I usually add weight to my back - any other suggestions or progressions I should be doing.

On a good note, I work shoulder ring stands at the end of my workout and my goal here is to move my body from ring support to a shoulder stand.  When I first attempted this a few weeks ago, I couldnt even get my legs overhead but now I can do about 3 reps where I can get my legs over my head - I cant balance just yet, ii fall fwd but i def made some improvements

I also improved on my tuck FL and BL.  I able to do them from Inverted Hang and from dead hang/german hang.  

Here is my modified workout based on suggestions and trial;/error.  The total workout takes about 1hr and 20 minutes.  

Warmup with Lhang for 10s, then another set for 6s  Also German Hang 5s, 4s.  I also get on Paralelle bars and rock as far fwd and backward as I can go,  do this inverted as well.  Not really a hold but I try to stop my momentum and reverse direction a few times

I usually do the below exercises as supersets and rest about 60-90seconds.  I usually do about 3 sets per exercise.  Most are done with just my weight unless a I added a plate where indicated.

HSPU (chest 2 wall elbows in) 5,2,2  * I just switched to these vs doing them with elbows out - they were much harder 

Pullups 25x8,20x7,10x7

HSPU (back 2 wall elbows out) 1,2,2,

Chinups, 20x6, 10x6, 10x6

Psuedo Planche Pushup (feet on wall) 2, 2, 2, 

Ring Rows (inverted tuck)

Psuedo Planche Pushup (hands at hips & wrists turned out) 25x7, 25x7, 10x7

tucked front lever Pullups 7,7,5

Weighted Pushups on Rings (Feet on Stool) 25x8, 35x5, 25x7

Inverted Shrug on Paralell Bars 8,8,7

Ring Flies 5,5,4

Cross Block Pullouts 4,4,4

Dips on Rings 10x6, 6, 7

Rope climb - too hard couldnt do - so i did Dumbell curls 35x7, 35,x6. 35x6

Ring Skull Crushers 6,6,7

Bicep Curls with Rings 8,8,6

Tiger Pushups on small paraletters 10x5, 10x5, 5

Hammer Curls with rings 7,7,6

SKILLS (done as reps not holds)

Ring shoulder stands 3, 2, 1

Tucked Front Lever pullouts from Inv Hang 4, 2

Tucked Back Lever pullouts from Inv Hang 3, 2

Tucked front lever pullout from dead hang 2, 2

Tucked back lever pullouts from german hang, 2, 1

________________________________________________________'

Thoughts Suggestions?

Joshua Slocum

It looks pretty reasonable to me. The only major thing I would change is that you have no static holds in there. I would remove the back/front lever pullouts, and instead begin the workout with static strength work. Keep in mind that these are not simply poses that look impressive: they will help you build phenomenal amounts of strength. 

Each fundamental static position (FSP) has a prerequisite. The prerequisite is not simply a minimal gauge of strength. The prerequisite serves a preparatory purpose: it helps to condition your joints and tendons for the stresses that the FSP's will place on them. They also ensure that you will be strong enough to jump in and start doing high-volume, high-quality work. If you can't do the prerequisite, it's likely that you're already able to do some of the earlier parts of the FSP progressions. This is not a sign that you can skip the prerequisites: doing so will result in slower overall progress and a higher risk of injury.

If you can perform 3 sets of 30s german hangs, you are ready to begin back lever work. Otherwise, your time will be most efficiently spent working german hangs. 

If you can perform 3x30s L-hang, begin front-lever work. Otherwise you'll get the most out of the L-hang.

If you can perform 3x30s L-sit on the floor, begin working on planche and manna. Otherwise work the L-sit.

Another goal should be to achieve 3x30s ring support. This is excellent conditioning as well as good bicep prehabilitation. 

Another note is about crosses: crosses put a tremendous amount of strain on the bicep tendons and shoulder girdle. Though you are already in very good shape and your muscles are strong enough to perform exercises to train the cross, your joints and tendons have probably not been developed to take the kind of stress that a cross puts on them. I would recommend that you not do cross work until you have advanced further in the fundamental static positions (front lever, back lever, manna, planche). That will ensure that you do not injure your shoulders or biceps. And at that point you will also have developed enough strength that learning the cross will come easily. A good substitute for cross pullouts would be wide-arm pullups. 

Thanks JSF,

So I will begin my workout with FSPs. I will work on on L Hang, German Hang, Ring Support, Tuck FL and BL.  How should I work these, how many sets, how many sec hold do I shoot for and how much Rest between sets?  Also Should I work the Shoulder Hand Stands and Muscle up work in the beginning with these other holds or should I keep them at the end?

Also whose workout is this?  http://beta.stefanhinote.com/routine/

I might try to rotate between this workout and my own

Joshua Slocum

Thanks JSF,

So I will begin my workout with FSPs. I will work on on L Hang, German Hang, Ring Support, Tuck FL and BL.  How should I work these, how many sets, how many sec hold do I shoot for and how much Rest between sets?  Also Should I work the Shoulder Hand Stands and Muscle up work in the beginning with these other holds or should I keep them at the end?

Also whose workout is this?  http://beta.stefanhinote.com/routine/

I might try to rotate between this workout and my own

I have no idea whose workout that is.

If you're still working on the german hang and L hang, don't work on the BL and FL yet. They use a lot of the same muscles, so you'll over-fatigue yourself. A reasonable rule of thumb is to shoot for a total of 60s in each position. Figure out your maximum hold time, and do about half of that per set. So if you can hold the german hang for 40 seconds, do 3 sets of 20 second holds.  I would also include L-sits here, instead of on leg days. Rest time should be about 60s or less between each hold. 

Shoulder stand you can work when you feel like. With the other FSP's is not a bad idea. Muscles-ups should be done with the other dynamic movements.

For some of the holds I can only hold 3-6s.  Should I do as many sets as it takes to get to 30s or 60s?  total hold time?

The Levers, German hang - I find that one very uncomfortable but not painful. I will get a better idea of my hold time on these next workout because I've been doing them as reps and not holds. Rings support and dead hang I feel pretty confident, if I can hold it for 30 or 60s - should I continue to do it or move it to the warmup?.

FYI - For anyone whose interested I did a free weight workout today. I did Legs Yesterday and I did a ring workout Tuesday. I haven't done weights in about a 10 days. Almost all of my lifts went up and I got several comments last workout and today from other regulars in the gym that I look bigger. I really cant express in words or quantify the positive impact that incorporating this style of training has had. I feel much stronger, feel more flexible (at least in my upper body). I may be preaching to the choir (in this forum) but I am very excited about the results and the progress this style of training can deliver. I think there is something to it, that's all I can say.

I'm still trying to decide which schedule to follow - In Light of all of this, which schedule do you think would serve me best. 

Option 1: Rings, Lower, Weights, Off, Repeat. I hit Rings every 4th day or after 3 days rest.

Option 2: Rings, Lower, Weights, Lower, Off, Repeat. I hit Rings every 5th day or after 4d of rest.

Option 3: Rings, Lower, Off, Weights, Lower, Off, Repeat. I hit Rings every 6th day or after 5d of rest

Joshua Slocum

German hang takes some time to get acclaimated to. Also it's a good idea to hold off on back lever training until your German hang is improved.

If you can't hold the lever for very long, try an easier variation. Instead of a straight body, you can bend at the knees, or split your legs, or tuck your legs towards your chest. I would play around with variations and train whichever position you can hold for 10-15s.

The goal for ring support is 3x30s, which means three back-to-back 60s holds. Rest in between should be minimal; no more than 2 minutes. If you aren't there yet, keep working on it. The goal for dead hang is similar, except it is 3x60s (because it is much easier). 

Option 1 looks the best to me. 

Also, good to hear about the strength gains. I think you'll find that with continued training, they'll keep coming.

How do i wok on muscle ups? I feel like i have strong dip and pullup but the false grip and the transition just dont make sense to me i cant get my hands in close enough an my body high enough to transition to dips

Negatives dont really seem ti focus on my weakness becuase at the very end of the dip i fall out of it to the dip

Joshua Slocum

Use a theraband, or a spotter, or put one leg on a chair and use it to assist yourself through the transition. 

How do i wok on muscle ups? I feel like i have strong dip and pullup but the false grip and the transition just dont make sense to me i cant get my hands in close enough an my body high enough to transition to dips

Negatives dont really seem ti focus on my weakness becuase at the very end of the dip i fall out of it to the dip

Was said above, get something under you and use some leg assist so you can control the transition phase.

Work on your pull ups. Get the rings touching the middle of your chest. If needed, lower the rings so your toes touch the floor for asistance. But again focus on getting the rings to the middle and lower part of your chest in the pull up part.

So i did my workout today. I tried doing the holds and they were harder than i expected esp front lever

Rings support i felt was pretty easy - should i keep doing them?

L hang i will move to my weights day

Lastly i thought about doing the holds as a routine inother words hold support for 60s then move to german hang etc - is this a good idea? I did them tday as a big superset

As far as exercises, I know i have too many exercises and newd to remove some but not sure which ones - this is all trial and error trying to determine where im at and what a good progression shoukd be

I tried False grip pullups today and they suck killed my wrist and i could hardly do many at all - should i keep these in?

Also on paralettes i tried to move mu legs from lsit through w/o touchin ground - is this a good ex to keep

Dips - should i do them regular or wide or both?

Biceps - i have no idea how to train them on the rings rope climb OAC bodyweight curls - what ahoul i be doing for bis?

I didnt do pullouts at the end someoe. Told me to remove them but still not sure thoughts?

Again - please tell me what u think i should remove

Thanks

Numbers for holds in seconds

1 .HOLDS GOAL: 30s Total

2 .RINGS, Support

45s, 40s, 30s, 32s

3 .RINGS, G-Hang

6s, 5s,4s

4 .RINGS, TFL Hold (tucked)

6s 7s 5s 6s

5 .RINGS, TBL Hold

5s 7s 7s 10s

6 .PARAS, Tuck Planche

1 5s, 3s, 5s, 7a

7 .PARAS, L-Sit

6s, 7s, 8s 7

8 .EXERCISES. GOAL: 3sets @ 3-8reps

9.1 .PARAS, HSPU (Front 2 wall elbows in)

① 5lb × 5

② 5lb × 2

③ × 3

④ × 2

9.2 .RINGS, False Grip PU

① × 4

② × 4

③ × 4

④ × 3

10.1 .PARAS, HSPU (Back 2 wall elbows out)

3-8 Reps

① × 2

② × 2

③ × 2

10.2 .RINGS, Pull-Ups

① 10 × 10

② 15 × 8

③ 10 × 6

11.1 .RINGS, SHS (Support)

① × 3

② × 2

③ × 1

11.2 .RINGS, Chinups

① 25 × 4

② 10 × 6

③ 10 × 6

12.1 .PARAS, planche pushups (feet on Wall)

① × 3

② × 2

③ × 2

12.2 .RINGS, Tuck Inv Rows

① 12 × 9

② 25 × 8

③ 10 × 6

13.1 .PARAS, PLanche pushup palms put hands at side

① 25 × 5

② 25 × 4

③ 25 × 4

13.2 .RINGS, TUcked FL Pullups

① × 7

② × 7

③ × 5

14.1 .RINGS, Pushups

① 25 × 9

② 35 × 5

③ 35 × 7

14.2 .PBARS, Inv Shrug

① × 8

② × 8

③ × 6

15.1 .RINGS, Block Cross Pullouts

① × 4

② × 3

③ × 2

15.2 .PARAS, L-Sit Pull Through

â‘ 

â‘¡ Did not do

â‘¢

16.1 .RINGS, Ring Flies

3-8 Reps

① × 4

② × 4

16.2 .TRX Reverse Fly

① × 5

② × 6

17.1 .RINGS, Dips

3-8 Reps

① 10 × 5

② 10 × 5

③ × 7

17.2 .ROPE, Rope Climb

â‘  did not do too much setup time

18.1 .RINGS, Dips (Wide)

â‘  did not do

18.2 .HBAR, OAC Negative

â‘  i tried but was very hard

19.1 .RINGS, Skull Crusher

â‘  did not do

19.2 .TRX, Bicep Curls

① × 8

② × 8

③ × 6

20.1 .PARAS, Tiger Pushups

① ×. 8

â‘¡ x 6

20.2 .TRX, Hammer Curls

Did not do

21.1 .RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (Inv Hang)

â‘  did not do

21.2 .RINGS, Tuck FL Pullouts (Inv Hang)

â‘  did not do

22.1 .RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (D-Hang)

â‘  did not do

22.2 .RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (G-Hang)

â‘  did not do

• Upvote 1

In light of the above,

Rings support i felt was pretty easy - should i keep doing them?

L hang i will move to my weights day

Lastly i thought about doing the holds as a routine inother words hold support for 60s then move to german hang etc - is this a good idea? I did them tday as a big superset

As far as exercises, I know i have too many exercises and newd to remove some but not sure which ones - this is all trial and error trying to determine where im at and what a good progression shoukd be

I tried False grip pullups today and they suck killed my wrist and i could hardly do many at all - should i keep these in?

Also on paralettes i tried to move mu legs from lsit through w/o touchin ground - is this a good ex to keep

Dips - should i do them regular or wide or both?

Biceps - i have no idea how to train them on the rings rope climb OAC bodyweight curls - what ahoul i be doing for bis?

I didnt do pullouts at the end someoe. Told me to remove them but still not sure thoughts?

Again - please tell me what u think i should remove

Thanks

Anyone help me with these questions?

1) Rings support i felt was pretty easy - should i keep doing them?

2) L hang i will move to my weights day

3) Lastly i thought about doing the holds as a routine inother words hold support for 60s then move to german hang etc - is this a good idea? I did them tday as a big superset

4) As far as exercises, I know i have too many exercises and newd to remove some but not sure which ones - this is all trial and error trying to determine where im at and what a good progression shoukd be

5) I tried False grip pullups today and they suck killed my wrist and i could hardly do many at all - should i keep these in?

6) Also on paralettes i tried to move mu legs from lsit through w/o touchin ground - is this a good ex to keep

7) Dips - should i do them regular or wide or both?

8) Biceps - i have no idea how to train them on the rings rope climb OAC bodyweight curls - what ahoul i be doing for bis?

9) I didnt do pullouts at the end someoe. Told me to remove them but still not sure thoughts?

10) Again - please tell me what u think i should remove

Thanks

I did another workout and made some further changes

Warmup/Holds - I do these in a curcuit style.  No rest.  3 sets

L-Hang - Didnt do today but decided it was good to include for abs

L-Sit on Parallettes (My hold is getting longer about 10-15sec

Handstands.  I had 2 really good handstands about 6s.  

Tuck Planche.  I use parallel bars and try to get my back flat and lean forward can get about 7-10s

G-Hang - getting better

Tucked FL Hold - Hard to keep my body straight

Tucked BL Hold - easier than Front 

Exercises

1) HSPU (Chest 2 wall, elbows in) 5, 3, 3, 2

2) Rope Climb (I just get maybe one or two pulls then I superset with weighted Chins 25x8,7,6

3) Rings SHoulder Stand From Support (My goal is to work to an Elbow Ring Strap Press) 4, 3, 2, 2, 

4) L-Pullups (Amazing how much harder they felt tryign to keep L position, 8,8,7,7

5) Tuck Planche Pushup on Parallel Bars (i can get 1 or 2 reps, then I superset with Wall PPP.  These are much easeir than the tuck

6) Tucked FL Pullups - Is this a Row or Pullup?  

7) RTO Pushup Feet Elevated, 7, 6, 5, 

8) Tucked Inverted Row, I like this exercise but its kind of similiar to Tucked FL pullups not sure if I should do both or not

9) Block Cross Pullouts./  With feel on a box and body angled I just lower as far as I can go and back up, 4, 5, 4,

10) Dips, I tried L dips and they are much harder did one set of them, then did weighted 10lbs dips for about 4-5 reps

11) Inverted Curls.  I hang inverted and try to only use my biceps to curl up as far as I can go

12/13.  I finish with a 2 sets set of Tiger Pushups fors tris and 1 arm (lean to the side Bicep Curls)

This takes about 1hr and 15min.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  A few things Im not sure on

Pushups/planche confuse me.  The tucked planche pushup is easier according to Overcoming gravity than wall PPP.  But I find the tuck planche pushup WAY HARDER.  

Also RTO Pushups arent that bad, I was getting 5 good clean reps - I guess I start moving the rings sway from my body (towards Maltese position?)  OR do I add weight?

Also not sure which Rows I should be doing.  I can do tucked inverted with about 25lbs on me, not sure if I should begin archer Rows or One Arm Rows.  

Tucked FL Pullups are pretty hard to keep body in a straight line, last few sets form was bad and they just looked like akward pullups.  Are they a pullup or a row?

I read through this thread and there was a lot to adapt to. The biggest point I see and what you may want to consider changing is the use of free weights. With gymnastics for the upper body, you already have a much better stimulus. Why bother with a less effective one? One that will also use recovery that could be used on gymnastic skills. If your goal is to be good at free weights, enjoy. But the gymnastic training will be a better use of time unless you have a specific upper body lift goal. (Some weight work for structural balance is great)

For the lower body, the opposite is true. Weights make for a much better stimulus after you achieve the basic sls, split squats, ect.

• Upvote 2

I would also spend 10 minutes working on handstands

I want to incorporate this in my training too, what do you do during the 10 minutes besides holding a handstand? Does 10 minutes include rest time?