Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How To Maintain Healthy ( Not Sick) ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi!

I know this question sounds a  bit off-topic but i have been sick for 4 days now ( sour throat and cold ) And i am feeling really weak.

I dont want to use antibiotics because they can damage your health aswell.

The question is : How do you pros stay healthy and energetic ? And How to defeat this Mordor plague ( sour throat and cold )  so it wont return. 

I want to train again!

Im sorry if my question bothered you but its just something that i would ask an experienced athlete

Thank you !

Coach Sommer

For years, I usually got sick at least once during the winter months.  Three years ago my friend Robb Wolf recommended that I start using emusilfied (liquid) Vitamin D.  I have not been sick since.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Coachs is right vitamin D deficancy is a huge problem in most parts of the world. I would reccomend vitamin D3, D2 is present in foods such as cheese salmon etc... I can't reccomend a daily markerfor you to take though, coach may have some ideas.

At the May seminar 2011 I was recomended to do a blood test so when I got home I did one and it turned out that I was low on Vit. D and Zink. So now I supplement those and have not benen sick since then.

I would never train when having a sore throat.

• Upvote 1

teilzeitstudent
can you recomend a dosage to take?

If in doubt, ask Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Dietary_reference_intakes

You can also check the website of whatever agency is responsible for your country.

I use a dose that's half of the recommendation... if I where you I'd stay away from highly concentrated supplements.

EDIT: Also found this article: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/

FREDERIC DUPONT
2000IU per day with a meal is probably optimal for most:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/6/1738.long#F3

Hummm......... the medical recommendation is 400UI per day. (this may vary per country(?))

Vit D is toxic if overdosed, and accumulates in fat tissue.

I know of the controversy and the likely upgrade of the recommended dosages, however, I do not think it is wise for people on an internet forum to make bold claims that may be harmful to some.

In this situation, the best answer is probably to (1) do your own research, and (2) ask your MD before making the jump of automedication with quantities far in excess of the recommendations.

I personally have been taking 5000UI daily since July last year with a month break every 3 months.

Hummm......... the medical recommendation is 400UI per day. (this may vary per country(?))

Vit D is toxic if overdosed, and accumulates in fat tissue.

I know of the controversy and the likely upgrade of the recommended dosages, however, I do not think it is wise for people on an internet forum to make bold claims that may be harmful to some.

In this situation, the best answer is probably to (1) do your own research, and (2) ask your MD before making the jump of automedication with quantities far in excess of the recommendations.

I personally have been taking 5000UI daily since July last year with a month break every 3 months.

It takes an super insane amount of vitamin D to be toxic. At least that's what my sister (pharmacist) has told me.

I see the usual recommandation around 2000IU.

FREDERIC DUPONT
:facepalm: You should read the peer reviewed article I posted from the reputable American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which specifically looks at the relationship between vitamin D3 supplementation and 25-hydroxyvitamin D before suggesting my previous post was unwise, or a bold claim, when in fact it is grounded in good science.

It takes an super insane amount of vitamin D to be toxic. At least that's what my sister (pharmacist) has told me.

I see the usual recommandation around 2000IU.

Maybe you both are correct and the recommended dosages are too low, as I said I did do my homework regarding VitD that allowed me to make my own informed decision to increase my intake of this product, under medical supervision; however, for many reasons, it is IMHO criminal to prescribe larger doses of VitD over an internet forum because (1) reading scientific articles does not make you qualified, but merely informed, and (2) you have no idea what is the special case situation of every single reader of your "advice"!

Furthemore, you are exposing this website, and possibly Coach Sommer's personal responsibility to dire legal consequences in case something happened with someone following your "advice" posted above.

Medical advice comes with clear boundaries as to whom can deliver it! Please keep in mind that Coach Sommer lives in the country where Companies have been condemned because some fool used a microwave to dry their cat!

There are very good reasons why it takes a long time for the Medical community to decide to change a recommended dosage - some of which are linked to very rare and peculiar special cases that they need to identify prior to disseminate this kind of review.

• Upvote 1

Larry Roseman

The current RDA for D for most people reading this (between age 1 and 70) is 600. That's enough for 97-98% of the population.

This is based on  minimal sunlight (during winter in most locations).   It does not mean that it's enough for everyone - athletes are one group who may require more. 

Anyway, D is just one aspect to health. If everything else were ideal it might make a difference, but there are so many factors. Obviously, stay out of close contact with sick people, and wash your hands often. And there's no need to take antibiotics unless you have a bacterial infection - which is uncommon in a winter cold or flu. 

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

Don't worry, Domz. Fred isn't a troll... more like a goblin, wouldn't you say, Fred?

Domz Fred isn't trolling. As I'm sure you know the recommendations or vitamin D are changing and have up to recently been set quite low. So he's just working from that paradyne.

In Finland, unfortunately IMO, they are still debating this, and the recommended adult dosage is under 500IU. They do state the recommendations will be revised this year.

2000 IU is not in any way an outlandish amount. Of corse if in doubt the best thing is a blood level check.

We certainly do appreciate getting up to date info from a professional, and I for one hope that these recommendations are upgraded.

Agree with Cole. I use 5000iu daily plus what is in my multi. Especially in the winter here it makes a huge difference. If you get enough regular sun exposure then you would likely not have any shortage. So if you're curious get yourself tested and see.

• 4 years later...
Josh Wilson

What is the brand and dosage of emusilfied (liquid) Vitamin D that Coach Sommer uses?  He mentioned it on the Tim Ferris podcast and seemed to be saying "biotest" but he didn't sound sure of it.  I'd like to know the exact brand.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.