Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Measuring Body Fat?

Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum

I've seen several people talking about their body fat % on here, and so I was wondering - what methods do you guys use for measuring BF%? I've heard that most of the easily available methods are of questionable accuracy, so I'd be interested in hearing about how well whatever method you're using has worked. 

Daniel Burnham
I've seen several people talking about their body fat % on here, and so I was wondering - what methods do you guys use for measuring BF%? I've heard that most of the easily available methods are of questionable accuracy, so I'd be interested in hearing about how well whatever method you're using has worked. 

From what I've read the dexa scan is the only accurate reading of body composition.  The bodpod is another pretty good method of determining it and is more readily available.  I would not trust caliper measurements.  Personally I haven't found a real reason to get the exact number read.  I just look in the mirror and determine whether I think it has gone up or down.

When cutting weight I measure my waist (relaxed stomach, around the navel or widest part) as a crude but fairly precise proxy for bf%. If that measurement goes down in step with my weight loss, and hopefully doesn't rise too much with weight gain, then that's good. Measuring your flexed upper-arm, where there is relatively more muscle and less fat is a good comparison as well. Ideally when losing weight that will decrease minimally while the waist measurement decreases maximally.

Here's a chart of some recent weight loss. You can see a good correlation between the two factors plotted and I would assume that a very good portion of the weight lost was fat.

8Kx58.png

• Upvote 2

Nigel Leeming

Hi jfslocum. As others have mentioned, dexa is most accurate, followed by the body pod, followed by callipers. However, even dexa is only accurate to 1 or 2 percent. What is more important is how much fat you have compared to yesterday or last year and a good enough estimate for tracking can be had for very little from body analyzer scales. I have some salter ones which I've been using for 3 years, but there are plenty of others now. If I was buying today, I'd get some with a handheld bit which is meant to be better at measuring upper body muscle, and I'd also look for one presenting a graph of weight, muscle and fat if I could. It has been extremely useful for monitoring the many ups and downs during weight loss. I started at 75kg and 17% fat, and I'm now down to 60kg and 7% fat. I use the middle setting, if that's any help, and I reckon it's pretty close compared to bodybuilder's images posted on the web.

• 4 years later...

I have been lead to believe the hydro- static dip is the most accurate reading i have booked one in four weeks time and then plan to have one every 12 weeks it costs £40 per session near me in the uk

• 1 year later...
Cooper Robertson

I have a hard time with understanding Body Fat Percentage. I've gotten several Free inbody scans and the BF% were absurdly inaccurate.

Ryan Walker

Dexa- bod pod - hydro static in that order If you want to be accurate. Then I would go with calipers or just measuring. It doesn’t really matter what the actual number is, just that you are consistent with how you get the numbers and get a accurate trend.

I had the first version of Skulpt body fat scanner . It was pretty cool and I felt it was  accurate for the price. I had issues with it charging and sent it back. The newer version is probably much better and only $100

Edited by Ryan Walker

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:13 AM, Ryan Walker said:

Dexa- bod pod - hydro static in that order If you want to be accurate. Then I would go with calipers or just measuring. It doesn’t really matter what the actual number is, just that you are consistent with how you get the numbers and get a accurate trend.

I had the first version of Skulpt body fat scanner . It was pretty cool and I felt it was  accurate for the price. I had issues with it charging and sent it back. The newer version is probably much better and only $100

Anyone try out the new Skulpt Scanner? 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.