Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programm Design Comprehension

Guillaume Cristofini

Guillaume Cristofini

Hi to all of the athletic community !

As a beginner I am trying to design my training schedule.

I woul like to design an Integrated training with a Steady state training cycle.

I have trouble to associate some things I read in the book.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Training day 1 could be a curl variation, day 2 could be a row variation, day 3 could be a

pull-up variation, training day 4 could be a MPPu variation and training day 5
would begin the rotation again back at curl variations"

"For upper-body work, focus on CPPs, or pair a curl with a dip, a HSPU with a
pull-up and a pushup with a row or a MPPu with a MPPr; although any
variation of p u l l / p r e s s would be acceptable.
Leg work should be alternated with a core exercise."

1/ Pair a curl with a dip... I am not sure of what it means:

Do I have to do 3 dips followed by 3 curls, take 3 min rest and do it again 3 times ? (and it will be done for Day1)

Do I have to do 3x3 dips (with rest between sets) and then 3x3 curls ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

2/ Integrated training:

"To perform integrated training, take your basic strength workout that you
have designed and pair it with either your simple hold static work or the
appropriate embedded static work.
The static strength work will be done immediately preceding the basic strength work.
A short rest of 30-60 seconds between the static work and the basic strength work is fine."

"For example

Embedded back lever work will be paired with each day's pulling variations.
Embedded planche work will be paired with the pressing variations.
Front lever work will be paired with the leg variations.
L-sit/Straddle L / o r Manna work will be paired with the core variations."

This is where I totally get lost...  :facepalm:

Do I have to do an embedded back lever, take a 30 sec break, do 3 dips, then 3 curls and repeat the whole thing 3 times after a 3 minutes break ?

Do I only have to do back lever with pulling variation on day 1 (it is an example) ?

I absolutely don't know how to associate the Basic strenght training with the Static hold...  :(

I want to thank the people who will take the time to read and answer this article.

I tried to be as accurate as possible.

My deepest apologies for my poor english understanding.

Antonio Rodriguez

I just read the book, I am lost too. I think for your question 1.

It's a super set I believe.  For example, dip, curl, rest. repeat 3x.

Question 2: I think i get this part.  You need a workout split, I think he put one together in the book. I am currently making my workout right now.  A common format I use (not in the book) is

Workout A = Pull

Workout B = Push

Workout C = Legs

Core/abs can be worked after each sessions of A, B and C.   SO you should pick the appropriate static holds.

So you alternate A, B, C in order.  I would work it 3x a week with 20-30mins of cardio after.  Or you can Do

A = Monday

cardio = tuesday

B = Wednesday

cardio = tursday

C = Friday

cardio = saturday.

I think i am not lost anymore after writing this.

Do I have to do 3 dips followed by 3 curls, take 3 min rest and do it again 3 times ? (and it will be done for Day1)
This is called a superset which is one way to do it. This leads to a shorter workout and possibly more hypertrophy since the work is done with less rest.
Do I have to do 3x3 dips (with rest between sets) and then 3x3 curls ?
This way gives the body more rest and there might be more strength gains possible.

A third option is to do the 3x3 dips on a different day than the 3x3 curls. For example in Antonio's example the curls could go on a pull day and the dips on a push day.

By this pairing he simply means you need to do both, CPP or Curl+Dip, Pull-up & HSPU, Pushup & Row or MPPu & MPPr to completely cover the fundamental bodyweight exercises. If you do all 6 of these you effectively train bent arm strength in every direction.

Do I have to do an embedded back lever, take a 30 sec break, do 3 dips, then 3 curls and repeat the whole thing 3 times after a 3 minutes break ?
You would just do one FBE either a dip variation or a curl variation. The book recommends and the GB WODs often pair backlever with pulling exercises, so:

3 sets of: Embedded Back Lever + 5 Tempo Reverse MU

3 sets of: Embedded Planche + 5 Tempo Bulgarian Dips

3 sets of: Embedded Front Lever + 5 Reverse Grip HLL

is an example of an embedded workout that could be done on the dip/curl day. You would rest 30s between the lever and FBE and 1-3 min between sets and pairs of exercises.

Do I only have to do back lever with pulling variation on day 1 (it is an example) ?
You can do back lever with or without a pulling variation. But if you choose to integrate the bent arm training with straight arm training, pulling movements like curls, rows, chin-ups or rope climbing just work very well after a back lever hold.

Guillaume Cristofini

I thank you very much for answering me with such acuracy and kindness.

In the book Coach Sommer says:

"For basic strength, it is best to pair exercises and then rotate between them rather than

stand around while waiting to recover for your next set.

For upper-body work, focus on CPPs, or pair a curl with a dip..."

Does this mean that I have to do a superset ?

Riku Calderón

do the curls, then wait 2 mins and do the dips.

You get good recovery on both and save time.

Guillaume Cristofini

Ok according to the book and thank to all of you I think I am starting to have an idea of what my future workout will look like.

Pressing day

3 sets:

- Embedded planch work + 5 piked HSPU

(3 min rest)

- Embedded planch work + 5 dips

(3 min rest)

- Embedded planche work + 5 pushups

(3 min rest)

Did I understood correctly the book and what you tried to explain to me ?

Riku Calderón

According to the book?

Book kind of says that you do statics, push, pull, core and legs every day you train. Not a Pressing day and Pulling day separately.

Easy way is to do the all static work first and after those you do all the FBEs.

So you do sets in every main static category. And after those you pull, push, pull, push, pull, push, core, legs, core, legs, core, legs. And you use same movements that day. So if your push is push-ups, you can do HSPUs tomorrow.

If you want to everything the hard way you have to be familiar with everything firs. And then you would do static, pull, static, push, etc.

Dont make it so hard on yourself. Just start with something and read educate yourself. And if you learn something new you can adapt.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Cristofini

I am really thankfull to receive such help from the members of the forum.

I really want to thank you for all of your efforts and patience.

So I have three choices:

- Killroy routine

- Sets in every static category + pull, push, pull, push, pull, push, core, legs, core, legs, core, legs (Day1) (repeat other days using different variations)

- Static/ pull, static/push, static/pull... (a little more advanced)

I apologies again for my poor understanding of english (and the book).

I thank you so much for helping me !

Best regards