Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Preferred Hand Position On Canes

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

I recently picked up a pair of canes. Nothing professional grade. Just a 3 inch and 1 foot bar to work with. 

So my question is, what grip do you use? I saw Willy Weldens grip, in which his pointer finger, middle finger, and ring finger were on the front of the cane, while his pinky and thumb were on their respective sides. I have seen other handbalancers use only their pointer finger on the front with the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky on one side with thumb on the other. Other times I have seen the pointer finger and the middle finger on the front, with the pinky and ring finger together. 

I personally find one arm elbow levers to be easier with only my pointer finger on the front, however since I have begun fixing my handstand, I haven't tried that on canes. However when it was arched and awful, I found the grip with my pointer and middle fingers together to be the easier grip. I could maybe see a shift in grip while doing a HSPU negative into OAEL. I don't know the tricks of the trade though, so enlighten me. What works for you? What don't you like? 

Mikael Kristiansen

The two grips most commonly used is with 2 fingers in front(index and middle finger) or 3 fingers in front(index middle and ring finger). Most handbalancers use the 2 finger grip but I find the 3 fingers one more comfortable. It is really about what you get used to so find the one you like or practice both.

Timothy Aiken

I noticed that the one finger front is used in moves such as planche and one arm elbow lever, while the grips you mentioned are used for the other handbalances. 

Thanks for your input. 

I always used two fingers in front, two fingers on the side and the thumb opposed. When I'll see canes again, I'll try different grips just for fun.

I personally find 3 in front more comfortable, but I'm not yet able to do one arm handstands. I've seen a number of handbalancers with the "Spock" grip, presumably to give more lateral control, which isn't a problem for a normal handstand. Perhaps as I learn the one arm handstand, I'll adopt a different grip.

For one arm elbow levers I do use the 2 fingers in front 2 on side grip, but that is more for comfort than control.

yuri marmerstein

I prefer 3 fingers in front when I use blocks. 

I don't get to use canes very often, but a lot of them have small blocks to grab onto, so 3 fingers in front is not always possible.  In that case I use 2

Mikael Kristiansen

1 arm elbow lever is more or less the same with the different grips. centre of mass is low and if your technique is okay, the strain on the wrist will be the same regardless of finger position. For planche it can be beneficial to turn the hands out for the sake of the wrists. I always hold like i would on Pbars when i planche on canes. The grips are really similar and is mostly about what you like the most. Fliers for hand to hand tend to use the 2 finger grip because it is more similar to the angle of the wrist when flying.

Handbalancer,

I find that changing my grip to 2 fingers in front for the 1 arm elbow lever allows me to move a little more of my fingers over the edge of the block without sliding my palm as far forward as with the 3 fingers in front. This eases the angle of my palm/wrist just a tiny bit, and that slight difference in wrist angle can make a difference in terms of how long I can comfortably hold the position.