Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 16 Year Olds First Competition

matthew.percussion

matthew.percussion

So, here's the story of my weekend... and a little bit of the preceding years.

I got a knee injury and a broken wrist about the same time, when I was 12(Don't quote me on this). My knee pain kept me from running for almost four years, my radius grew back improperly and caused pain whenever I put pressure onto it. So, here I am, fifteen years old, almost sixteen when my doc gives me the okay to run again.

Through my four years of not running I became very passionate about parkour, freerunning, and gymnastics. Aside from my wrist, I could finally start. I ended up hitting my hand pretty hard in a snowboard bail just after my birthday in January. Surprisingly the next day, I could put weight on my hand again. When my bone grew back it cause a ganglion cyst to form. Hitting it cause it to pop, alleviating the pain.

I finally got to start gymnastics, well, tumbling actually(I'm still not that good).

I just recently(less than three months ago) started actually all around gymnastics. Starting with the basics, and working as hard as I could I slowly became proficient enough to be on the level 5 team. That's right, I'm 16 and on a level 5 team! I look pretty funny next to my teammates(all of whom are about half my height and age).

But, yesterday I had my first unsanctioned competition.

My first even was high bar. I encountered a slight injury between my back hip circle and undershoot. It's something that I'm sure a few other guys can relate too, so I won't go into detail. Even through this "injury" I held on tight and finished this routine. Barely able to stand from the pain. Once I had recovered I looked at my hands, I had already ripped a few days before, but now my hands were bleeding. Not just a drop either. I kept on anyway.

I did however receive a pleasant surprise when we got to pommel horse, I was able to, for the first time, do four circles on the mushroom. This wasn't quite enough for the whole routine, but it made me happy considering I only had two the night before.

I also discovered that I am too tall for some sets of Parallel Bars. :shock: And that I really need to work on keeping my arms straight during my BHS.

In the end of the night I got second place. Out of a whopping two people in my age class.

In my mind, even as the loser, this was a successful first competition.

• Upvote 1

Phil Stablein

Dude that is awesome. Congrats on your recovery. Trust me, 16 is PLENTY young to start on a lifetime of health, fitness, and supreme physical accomplishment. Sounds like you have an awesome attitude and a good work ethic, which are excellent. I am very impressed. Keep kick ass!

Good luck this year as the season starts in about a month for most. You'll be hitting the mushroom routine in no time and be glad you don't have to spindle in there.

matthew.percussion

Thanks Phil and Blairbob. I appreciate the comments. I think that I will probably be doing the level six routines by the end of January. My coach isn't too concerned about my performance in competition yet, but rather learning my skills.

We have planned that when I get to level six or seven we will slow down and spend more time drilling the skills and getting form and technique down. I think that I ought to be doing my circles a lot easier. Going back to practice tonight! =]

Congratulations, Matthew. Everything always begins with that first step. My college coach,

(click for video), did not begin gymnastics until college (former diver, trampolinist), and yet two years later was the NCAA National Champion and shortly thereafter went to the '76 Olympics for the U.S.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer