Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain When Doing Side/straddle Splits

Cody Hahn

Hey guys,

My problem is when I lower or slide down into side splits I get an outer hip pain that makes me stop the range of motion. The particular position that I am talking about is side split with feet pointing forward and pelvis anteriorly tilted.

Tha anterior tilt does give me greater range of motion before the pain comes.  I actually discovered this by accident when looking at anatomy pictures of the femur and pelvis and I found out that externally rotating the femur or anteriorly tilting the pelvis when in side splits allows the greater trochanter to move to the side and allow greater range of motion in abduction as well as allow the ligaments in front of hip to stay more lax. But I still reach a point where I can't go further because of discomfort.

I have not been pushing things. I have been at this more consistently for 2-3 months with negligible progress. I have tried building up strength and volume at the point just before the discomfort in hopes that this would allow me a safe base for further deepening the stretch. Still no progress. I train these about 2 times a week, sometimes only 1 time. I usually will do isometric holds of 30-60 secs and anywhere from 3-6 sets.

I really don't feel as if this is a case of too much, too soon. It really seems like something else needs to be addressed. If I am wrong feel free to guide and correct me.

In fact, I never even get to reach the point where I might feel the tension in my adductors, rather it is always a discomfort in the outer hip and curving around to the back of the body for some reason. I don't have this problem at all in front splits.

Anybody else experience this problem. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I can't tell for sure, but I don't believe this to be an issue of greater trochanter or femoral head being of a structure that won't allow for this movement.

This really says it all:

Hey guys,

...I have not been pushing things. I have been at this more consistently for 2-3 months with negligible progress.....

Put me in the camp who thinks that training for a side split will not get you a side split.  I believe others have hinted at the same thing.  I personally have had much better success focusing on my front splits with low lunge variations and mixing in a good piriformis stretch.  (low lunge hands down and then open up the forward knee rolling out on to the side of the forward foot.)

That's interesting jl55555, I think I have seen/heard of others taking this approach. Some people seem to build into this with weighted wide squats. Some people build up weight and time in a wide horse stance.

Quick question on the low lunge, does the forward knee roll to the medial side of the body, or the lateral side?

Mats Trane,

Thanks very much for linking this stretching post. I am reading through it just now and the OP describes the exact same discomfort that I feel on the outside/lateral area of my hip/upper thigh! What seems to be an issue is not developing concurrent flexibility in the the hip abductors and external rotators. I will have to give this stuff a try as I am tired of putting in time and effort and not getting anything out of it.

Can't exactly tell from your description, but I've had a similar issue which I've self-diagnosed as a Type 2 Hamstring strain (not grade 2).  This is the dancer/gymnast type [vs. srinting type] - sometimes not adequately labeled hamstring tendinopathy.  Usually involves proximal free tendon of semimembranosus.  If you do a front split, flex your affected knee which should be in front, then bring your head to your knee, this should reproduce your pain.  If it does let me know and I'll give you some exercises I came up with and then well you can expect to get better in about a year.  If it doesn't, you probably have something else going on.  

For the lunge, do a low lunge, lean forward into the lunge so that the forward knee is outside the shoulder, hands or (more limber) elbows on the ground inside the forward foot.  Then, roll onto the outside of the forward foot maintain the 90 degree angle in the knee, and lean the knee outside (lateral?) as much as comfortable.  This provides a nice piriformis stretch.  Drop the forehead onto the forward foot.   :)   This is working you towards front stretch while also opening the hips.  Worked for me on developing the forward stretch, pancake/side stretch is about 170 on a good day.

That's interesting jl55555, I think I have seen/heard of others taking this approach. Some people seem to build into this with weighted wide squats. Some people build up weight and time in a wide horse stance.

Quick question on the low lunge, does the forward knee roll to the medial side of the body, or the lateral side?