Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Durability of the Xtreme Rings

Ideal Paradigm

Ideal Paradigm

Hello,

This question is more specifically directed towards Coach Sommer. But anyone who has some extensive experience with the rings would greatly be appreciated as well.

Allow me to give some background information on what I am planning on doing. I have a carport that is outside, but it is a covered area. I was going to tie the Xtreme rings to some overhead studs so I could start on a gymnastics program soon. However, in my area right now, the weather for winter is cold (30-40 Fahrenheit), in addition, the humidity tends to fluctuate (10% to 90%). In the Summer the temperatures can get up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit, with the same humidity fluctuations. I was wondering if it would be possible to leave the Xtreme rings outside instead of taking them down after I work out every single time to prevent weather damage to them? I don't want the rings to snap or anything. I have faith in the product, but I would like more information before I set them up, as I would not like to buy another set if I could use preventative measures.

My question is, would it be alright to leave the rings outside in these conditions?

Also, just exactly how tough are the Xtreme Rings, would they be able to sustain large changes in temperature, and be fine with rain and sun? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-Ideal

DON'T leave them in direct sunlight, they will lose their integrity. I don't think the cold will matter, assuming it doesn't get below 0 ©, I left my rings out one night when it was quite chilly. As for humidity I'm not sure.

Ed

I never recommend leaving equipment outside in the elements unless it has been specifically designed to operate in such an environment; and that includes the Xtreme Rings. Bringing them inside after each workout will dramatically extend their functional "life-time".

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ideal Paradigm
I never recommend leaving equipment outside in the elements unless it has been specifically designed to operate in such an environment; and that includes the Xtreme Rings. Bringing them inside after each workout will dramatically extend their functional "life-time".

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you so much for the information, Coach. I'll just be sure to take them down after each workout then.

Ideal,

If you're going to be taking them down a lot, maybe grab a couple of carabiners and keep them on your straps. Rig up something on the overhead studs that will be easy to click into, like lag screws with an eye. Then you can keep the straps threaded through the buckles instead of taking them on and off each time.

mark

Ideal Paradigm
Ideal,

If you're going to be taking them down a lot, maybe grab a couple of carabiners and keep them on your straps. Rig up something on the overhead studs that will be easy to click into, like lag screws with an eye. Then you can keep the straps threaded through the buckles instead of taking them on and off each time.

mark

That's a great idea, but right now I'm living in a rented house, and I won't be able to make those types of alterations to the house. Do you have any other ideas of how I might be able to quickly put up and take down the Xtreme rings?

Your idea is great, but I can't do it in the house that I'm currently in.

Hmm...

I think I might have an idea. I'll have to try it out, but in the meantime, if you come up with something too, please let me know!

Thanks again.

:D

George Launchbury

Have a look at climbing equipment in-store/online and get two short (but long enough) webbing slings, basically pre-formed loops, you can simply thread over/through and clip together underneath with a karabiner. You'll need one set for each ring, therefore two slings, and two karabiners. These are extremely durable (and pretty flat for tight spaces), not likely to damage the point of attachment (like chain might) and tested to very high loads (which should be marked on them).

Attaching the karabiners in this way also gives you a way of clipping in the Xtreme straps quickly, not to mention also being a portable rig for taking on holiday, to the park/gym, etc. Another benefit is that any wear and tear from whatever they're attached to is on the (cheaper) webbing, not the straps. Especially things like swing sets, which are often a little rough and/or rusty.

Maybe some of our resident climbers could add their thoughts, and/or suggest good suppliers in the US (I only know UK suppliers).

Regards,

George.

P.s. For this kind of use, a standard krab should be fine. I wouldn't lay out the extra for screw-gate versions, which are fiddly anyway, especially with cold fingers.

Ideal,

George has the right idea on this. In fact, this is what I did in my garage. I took some extra webbing from my old slackline, cut two lengths about 18"-24" and put knots with loops on each end. Then I measured the distance rings should be spaced on a two by four and laid the two pieces of webbing across the 2x4 and taped them in place. Since the ceiling in my garage was finished, I found the trusses/studs with a stud finder and put four lag bolts, two on each end, through the 2x4 and up into two of the trusses, so the 2x4 was spanning the two trusses. The tubing doesn't slip because of the tape and because the 2x4 presses it against the ceiling. Then I attach a carabiner on each of the pieces of webbing and put my ring straps through the carabiner.

Something less permanent sounds like it would work for you, unless you want to patch a couple of holes. My setup is pretty sturdy, and I only have four small holes in the garage ceiling, easily repaired when we move (we're renting). But I made some extra slings for when I travel so I don't as George pointed out, wear out my ring straps, just the cheap tubular webbing slings. I used 1" nylon tubular webbing. Climbing stores and outdoor sports stores usually sell it by the foot. It shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks to get what you need. If you want to do a loop like George suggested, some of these stores will also do industrial strength sowing if you can't find a cheap sling/loop online. If not, I've found that putting loops on each end with just a granny knot with the straps doubled up works fine. Or maybe a bowline on each end for a secure loop.

If any of your friends climb, ask if they have old carabiners you could have or buy from them for cheap. I got mind from a friend when I started slacklining.

mark

Ideal Paradigm

Alright, so I went to a local rock climbing shop and I got some webbing, and two carabiners. It looks like everything is going to be alright. I'm going to tie the webbing around a 2" X 4" and then put them on top of the studs. Then I'm going to put the carabiner through the webbing. Then I'm going to have the ring straps wrapped through the carabiners. Everything should be set. However, I have one question, I got 2 two-feet pieces of webbing, what types of knots should I use so that the webbing doesn't shift across the 2" X 4"? Or is that not likely, since most of the exercises don't cause the ring straps to move much?