Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chin Ups/pull Ups Everyday And/or Max Sets.

James Portillo

James Portillo

Currently I'm following Joshua's pull up program of the 10 sets cycling through 5 grips and I'm using 3 reps for each workset as well as the push up 'circuit' he mentioned from Stew Smith of cycling 3 stances for push ups (regular, tricep/diamond, wide).

My situation is this: Because I have to attend PT (physical training) for the Marine Corps every Wed/and the Marine Corps is horrible at programming and exercise ordering/structuring, we sometimes have to do a 'max set' or a set to failure of pull ups/chin ups as well as plenty of push ups. Before joining I was using a 3 day a week routine and I'd do the pull up program Mon and Fri.

So the point of this thread is to ask this question: Is it wise to continue my regular workout the following day (Thurs) with the pull up and push up program? I really don't like the idea of training to failure nor training the same muscle group extensively consecutive days in a row, so would 2 consecutive days out of the week hurt me more than allow me to make progress? I was thinking if I do this I skip Fri and do 'Day 3' on Saturday.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question--I searched around the forums and couldn't find anything specific on this.

Joshua Naterman

See how it feels.

1 set to failure is nowhere near as big a deal as multiples, but you may want to re-adjust your training based on what you've got going on with PT.

If you like how it feels when you take a rest day, take one and do day 3 on saturday!

• Upvote 1

James Portillo

Okay; I'll try my workout for Day 2/Thurs and see how I feel. I'm still not sure whether I'd be able to manage with such a weird schedule per week (M, W, Th, Sa) but I guess I just have to simply try it lol. Was just a bit concerned at first which is why I haven't done it yet and have been going with M and Fri being my only GST days. Thanks.

Deins Drengers
See how it feels.

1 set to failure is nowhere near as big a deal as multiples, but you may want to re-adjust your training based on what you've got going on with PT.

If you like how it feels when you take a rest day, take one and do day 3 on saturday!

Hi, Joshua !

I have a question: Im doing Your pullup program also ( twice a week) and im at 4 reps of each grip. ( Doing them slowly as you said ) But when i reach the wide grip pullups I just can't get my chin above the bar without some kipping. Should i lower my reps to 3? 

The Close grip pullup is hard aswell for me - I usually fail at the Wide grip or the Close grip.

Any advice?

Joshua Naterman

You could try doing those two grips as your first two grips.

You could also spend some time performing isometrics at the top with a little bit of foot support, and then lower down as slowly as possible. This will help you build strength into the top part of the pull up.

I will also suggest that one of the days be the following tempo: powerful concentric with a 1-2 second eccentric and a slight pause between reps in the dead hang.

At first I prefer people to develop with slow movement, because this lets you learn the movement correctly. After that, you're going to want to slowly move faster in the concentric part (but only as fast as you can perform without changing the feel of the pull up) until you have a nice, powerful pull all the way to the top.

For now, I will suggest that you spend one day working on speeding up and one day working on the same pace you currently have.

Wide pull ups are difficult, but I think you will find that spending time with the isometric and super slow eccentric will make a big difference for you.

James Portillo

Close grip is hard for me as well; I found that putting wide as first and close as second help a bit. I recently attempted to move up from 3 to 4 and was able to keep up 4 reps until the last set of the first round (reg grip) and the last 3 of the second round (close, neutral, reg). Though I'm only doing them 1s up, 1s pause, 1s down, I think I should slow em down a bit as I discovered adding an extremely slow eccentric on my last set helps a lot.

Deins Drengers
You could try doing those two grips as your first two grips.

You could also spend some time performing isometrics at the top with a little bit of foot support, and then lower down as slowly as possible. This will help you build strength into the top part of the pull up.

I will also suggest that one of the days be the following tempo: powerful concentric with a 1-2 second eccentric and a slight pause between reps in the dead hang.

At first I prefer people to develop with slow movement, because this lets you learn the movement correctly. After that, you're going to want to slowly move faster in the concentric part (but only as fast as you can perform without changing the feel of the pull up) until you have a nice, powerful pull all the way to the top.

For now, I will suggest that you spend one day working on speeding up and one day working on the same pace you currently have.

Wide pull ups are difficult, but I think you will find that spending time with the isometric and super slow eccentric will make a big difference for you.

Thank you !

Will try it !