Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Delayed Stretching Hinder My Flexibility?

Muskz

Hi. Because of my schedule, I have to sit down directly after working out for about half an hour everyday (I have track class last period, and my only form of transportation home is the bus - our coach

usually finishes up our workouts at 3:40 and the buses leave at 3:45.) I was wondering if not stretching directly after working out would affect my flexibility in any way?

I still stretch every night before bed for half an hour to one hour (after re-warming up my legs by walking the dogs), it's just delayed. Does anybody know how/if this will affect me? (more specifically my front and middle splits?).

Thanks.

David McManamon

It appears you don't want to ride home on the bus with your feet behind your head? Don't worry about having to stretch later, just make sure you stretch consistently and make sure your warm-up involves dynamic stretches, throw some high kicks while you are walking (jogging?) the dogs (front, side and back) and break a light sweat if possible. Running track is excellent exercise but one that could hinder your flexibility if you don't stretch a lot, almost every runner I know has comically tight hamstrings and quads, add calves too so front splits would take work.

• Upvote 1

It appears you don't want to ride home on the bus with your feet behind your head? Don't worry about having to stretch later, just make sure you stretch consistently and make sure your warm-up involves dynamic stretches, throw some high kicks while you are walking (jogging?) the dogs (front, side and back) and break a light sweat if possible. Running track is excellent exercise but one that could hinder your flexibility if you don't stretch a lot, almost every runner I know has comically tight hamstrings and quads, add calves too so front splits would take work.

I would get a lot stares lol.

Thanks for the reply. I'll start incorporating some dynamic stretches into my walks, and I already feel the pain for those front splits >.<

Joshua Slocum

To my knowledge there's no physiological reason why you need to stretch immediately after a workout. It's a good time because you're already warmed up, but I think if you stretch at another point in the day it's fine. Just be sure to warm up before doing any heavy stretching.

Joshua Naterman

This isn't anything to get worked up over, honestly. Just get your stretching in when you can!