Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How To Supplement Circus Skills, Whit Gymnastics Strength Training.

Paul Jacquemin

Paul Jacquemin

Hello. I have been strength training for a little while now but I was not familiar whit the gymnastic bodies training system. I want strength for aerial straps (a circus skill I think most of you is familiar whit)

I downloaded the basic strength book and fell in love whit the way that the progressions of exercises are presented. I have already started my FSP training but I have a couple of doubts whit the FDE. What I was wondering is how do I spread mi routine over this exercises.

Do I do a pushing day, pulling day and core day or do I spread the exercises on the days of the week. More like killroy routine.

Also I would like to know in which days I should spread them because I have my circus class on Sunday.

finally I see most of the routines posted here without any specialized core training. Is it core trained only by statics or is a core FDE necessary. I have a week core, so I think I would need some specialized training in core.

Joshua Slocum

Many of the strength holds in the basic progressions will work your core. If you have all of the prerequisites laid out in BTGB (such as a 60s plank) you should have a reasonably strong core.

Personally my weekly workout schedule is this:

Monday: skill-focused day (includes light strength)

Tuesday: strength-focused day (includes medium skill work)

Wednesday: recovery-focused day

Thursday: skill-focused day (includes light strength)

Friday: strength-focused day (includes medium skill work)

Sat/Sunday: rest.

I like this schedule because I can use my "fresh" days for working on skills, and on strength days I'm not too fatigued. Then the middle day lets me heal up a little for the next two heavier days. I'd recommend a similar schedule for you if you'll be spending a lot of time on skill development. Do your heavier strength work on Monday and Thursday, rest Friday/Saturday, and use Tuesday/Wednesday for lighter work and/or recovery.

• Upvote 1

Paul Jacquemin

Thanks you for the quick reply, I was also wondering in which days do you fit your static training? And when you have a hard strength day do you train everything pushing (horizontal vertical inverted) pulling (horizontal vertical inverted) core(vsit lifts, hll, lower back, oblique’s)?

I really like the schedule I going to stick whit it =)

If you do object manipulation of some kind then I find that to be excellent inter-set recovery from strength and strength-skill work such as handbalancing. I do a bit of juggling when my handstands start getting tired and it really clears my head out and resets my focus.