Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand To Elbow Lever - Ideas To Develop And Benefit From This?

emos

My nicest handbalancing combo right now is probably a fairly confident lower to elbow lever.

I can't yet press back up from the elbow lever, so there's an obvious thing to be aiming towards. Can anyone else suggest ideas of develop my handbalancing around this move, things to do before or after, or during? Things that branch off or arise from it, that may help my handbalancing?

Ideas so far:

> lower to OA-elbow lever (which I still can't balance in)

> tilt from elbow lever to headstand, then back to handstand

> elbow lever to frog stand variation? Harder than it sounds!

> lowering part of the way, then back up. Increasing range over time.

any other ideas of ways to build on this? And, generally, is it a sensible thing to be doing or can it just build bad bent-arm habits?

Sorry, very broad question. Thanks for any tips. Does anyone else enjoy this move? It feels nice and powerful, for a beginner.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Emos. I suggest that you do series of 3 to 5 slow shoulder stand to elbow lever (and back up) on pb's and rings (much harder). I do that exercise quite often and it has helped me to build up the strength needed to control the movement over the full ROM. In my case what is still lacking, is the upper arm strength needed to then push up from a shoulder stand into a hand stand. Lowering down into a one arm lever sounds like a recipe for elbow problems to me unless you have 100% control. I practice the one arm elbow lever too, but very cautiously given the amount of stress on the outer part of the elbow. I hope this will help you.

Apparently it's rather easier than a lower to two-arm elbow lever. At least if you keep the second arm engaged with the ground somehow, if you see what I mean - not a fully one-armed lower. I will try it next time I feel especially strong.

I discovered that my elbow levers after a handstand tend to be too wide of hand placement to really be an elbow lever - my elbows are only pressed against my flanks rather than dug into my stomach. They're more like a bent-arm planche that feels much easier than it should, presumably because of the great tension built up during the negative phase immediately preceding it.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I discovered that my elbow levers after a handstand tend to be too wide of hand placement to really be an elbow lever - my elbows are only pressed against my flanks rather than dug into my stomach. They're more like a bent-arm planche that feels much easier than it should, presumably because of the great tension built up during the negative phase immediately preceding it.

I call that an elbow lever, because I can not find a better name for it. On rings I find it a bit easier to start going down from a shoulder stand into an "elbow lever" with elbows pressed into the side of my stomach, but as I go down my elbows will always end up pressed into my sides. I think that it is a good way to build strength for the bent arm planche.

Any vids?

I used to do a lot of elbow levers.

One armed handstand to elbow lever etc.

Always one armed elbow lever. IF you want to lower practice holding onto something with the other hand. And also it's all in the legs. You have to alter/control their position as you go down otherwise you will fall like a sack of shit.

Some other cool things you can do with the elbow lever are

OA elbow lever to Elbow stand

Elbow lever jumps

Type in bboy Pop crickets and planches via youtube to see a guy that can launch himself 2 feet in the air from his elvow lever