Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

posterior chain development! coach, what do you think?

Guest spider_pig

Guest spider_pig

ok so my question is how to develop a strong posterior chain (hamstrings,glutes,lower back) without weights/just with my bodyweight?

i know this exercises:

glutes/hamstrings: hill sprints/one legged squats/ glute ham raises

lower back: hyperextensions, reverse hypeerextensions, back lever, kipping pullups

are there any gymnastic exercises that develop that particular area? i have read on another forum that tumbling is great also for that...

btw great site and articles!!!

V-sits will help to develop a lower back, along with pike to press handstands(great lower back skill),superman's raises, although L-sit doesn't look like it would develop your hamstrings well it does theres a muscle in there that helps you support the L-position.

You pretty much have the basic ones, try some weighted hyper extensions.

those are all good stuff. one significant thing you forgot is plyometrics, search youtube for some plyometrics ideas. theres literally tons of variations you can do that will all build explosive jumping strength (which is supposed to be mostly posterior chain).

Guest Ido Portal

V-sits developing the posterior chain??

Hardly.

The posterior chain is under extreme stretch during the performance of a v-sit, and it will not contribute to any strengthening of the hamstrings/glute/lower back.

The remark about l-sits is equaly absurd. This is basic anatomy.

Looking for PChain exercises in gymnastics is a bit like looking for the best biceps exercises that soccer players use... (well, kidding aside, it is not gymnasts strongest point, because it is highly over rated for their sports, and unless it is the limiting factor in specific cases, it is not the weak link in their performance)

I went over this in a pervious post:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

If you are looking for a good Pchain lesson, take a look at sprinters, Olifters, NFL players, hammer throwers, etc...

So Ido you're telling me that the V-up will not help in lower back? Well I believe you are wrong and yes, I have proof, now we are not talking about dead lift back strength, while doing a V-up you are replicating a hollow hold in a way rather than hold you are bringing feet and hands together, now while doing a handstand with a weak undeveloped lower back it is hard for most beginners so most coaches implement hollow holds and V-ups correct so help strengthen core(lower back, abs etc..)

Good enough proof?

As for more leg help I can't help ya out, I tore some stuff in both of my knees and hardly touch them anymore unless I am doing cardio.

V-ups are primarily moved by contracted the abs and hip flexors. The lower back is used as a stabilizer but not a primary mover. So no, it won't.

It's like saying you're using pullups for triceps work and dips for biceps work. Yes, they are antagonistic muscles and they will work some... but for strengthening absolutely not. You're better off doing some sort of back extensions/hyperextensions, back levers and such.

Tumbling, vaulting and big rings swings have a nice plyometric moment at the bottom which serves to strengthen the lower back in most gymnasts even if they didn't condition them that much.

IMO, a BW good exercise for hitting the glutes is the bridge. In the bridge postion, I often "squeeze" the butt cheeks together.

I am guessing wall walking down to the bridge postion could hit the posterior chain quite well too since the legs need to be properly "anchored" to protect the lower back when doing wall walking. Just my 2c

I have to agree with Ido here, gymnasts generally dont strength there posterior chains all that well. It makes sense, as they really dont make nearly as much use of it as they do other muscular systems. Deadlifts, Cleans, and Snatches are all probably your best bet. Search for their technique and variations to find which suits you best. It's advisable to find a coach when learned the olympic lifts though, as they are rather dangerous with improper form. Messing up a snatch for example could prove possibly fatal. And thats a bummer for everyone. Somewhere on the forum there's a nifty article about bodyweight hamstring curls, those are fairly difficult for beginners, you should look it up.