Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Learning How To Retract

Michael Morello

Michael Morello

Hello i'm Michael

i am a teen that was a gym rat doing bench,deadlifts,squats.(i still do deadlifts and squats)

now i have a problem i want to get into gymnastics because really i want there physique, they are incredible.

my problem is i have been doing these workouts for about 3 month, have been injured twice and i know why.

my problem is my anterior part of my deltoid is so strong now it keeps getting injured because it is trying to do jobs it is not suppose to be doing such as by getting pulled or stretched beyond is capacity. (a pulled muscle)

so i have been doing front lever and back lever (static hold up to 60 sec) and pull ups and other exercises like handstands.

i got both injuries from doing handstands.

my back lever is at a 20s second straddle and my front lever not even tucked for 30 seconds basically working on retracting my shoulders. so now i am at a standstill i have been injured twice both injuries are my shoulders.

can anyone help me with some exercises to get my front lever to where my back lever is?

i have found out that that is my problem to why i keep getting pulled muscles in my shoulders and now i am just looking for some exercises to help even my imbalances in my shoulders and back.

I dont think you should been training front levers and back levers if you have your shoulders injured.. Thats just going to worsen the situation

Just stop. The injuries are your body trying to tell you something. If you know you have a problem fix it first. Do you have full range of shoulder mobility? Can you do scap rows and hanging scap shrugs, the elbows should not be bending. These should be easy with decent ROM and not painful.

Joshua Naterman

I think he's actually experiencing anterior impingement.

OP: Go see a professional and get evaluated! It is very important to know for sure what is going on so that you can take the appropriate steps to fix things.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

How's your warm up and how long it takes? Any specific pre/rehab routine before or after workouts?

In any case, I'm with Joshua, go see a professional.

• 3 weeks later...
Michael Morello
Just stop. The injuries are your body trying to tell you something. If you know you have a problem fix it first. Do you have full range of shoulder mobility? Can you do scap rows and hanging scap shrugs, the elbows should not be bending. These should be easy with decent ROM and not painful.

my shoulder has full range of motion now it feels fine.