Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Russian And Ukrainian Street Workout And Gimbarr

C-Blu

UPDATE: 08.24.2013

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9246-russian-and-ukrainian-street-workout-and-gimbarr/#entry124290

Scroll the page down.

Original part of post as of 11.23.2012

-----

In Russia and Ukraine street workout evolved in the past two-three years into something hardcore. It's not uncommon thing to see full planches, full planches push ups, front lever variations, planche presses to handstand and etc. Just wanted to share this video, with the compilation of best summer 2012 moments in street workout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiyHUg2TZY
And one of the things I haven't found in GB forums is gimbarr. It's a columbian offspring of street gymnastics, including alot of strange and unique flexiblity and strength elements. In Russia and Ukraine it became really famous. I guess besides Columbia, these post-soviet countries are the only ones practicing it.

I have found that circus artists have the so called "meat hook" and other variations, but it's done on a rope, not on the bar.

• Upvote 2

- The Russian and Ukrainian video above is excellent. A lot of good technique and solid strength work there. Thank you for sharing this.

- The best of Gimbarr collection from Columbia is however much weaker and is primarily a collection of contortionist elements rather than strength focused. Their approach is not something that I would recommend.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

WHOAA!!! :blink: :blink: Wth!! Jesus H. Christ!!! I am S.P.E.E.C.H.L.E.S.S

There really doesn't seem to be a limit to the human body does it! Hats off to these guys.....no wait...Beasts! :D

It's big in most of the former eastern block countries - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Croatia.... They all appear to have excellent parks for these workouts. Sadly, most of the old style monkey bars have been removed in US playgrounds in favor of safer plastic equipment that doesn't lend itself to these kinds of work outs. I've looked for a simple horizontal bar to do pullups and German hangs on, and none of the parks near me have one.

It's big in most of the former eastern block countries - Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Croatia.... They all appear to have excellent parks for these workouts. Sadly, most of the old style monkey bars have been removed in US playgrounds in favor of safer plastic equipment that doesn't lend itself to these kinds of work outs. I've looked for a simple horizontal bar to do pullups and German hangs on, and none of the parks near me have one.

Yes, in Europe(Netherlands e.g.) also there are also not so many pullup bars. I have seen many pullup bars for little kids, but not for adults.

In some cities of exUSSR also gymnastic high bars are installed on the street. So we have also some people doing pretty advanced stuff for street gymnasts with no gymnastic background (stalders, veilers, adlers, endo, chezh giant swings, italian giants, double gainers, double front flips, even somebody got double layout, double gainer with a twist (the FIG names confuse, when it comes to dismounts, so I use freeruning names).

And I even saw in some videos street gymnastic rings. Too bad, that these are rare, and all it's just soviet legacy, nothing new. I don't have these sadly.

In Los Angeles, there is a wonderful Muscle Beach, with bars and gymnastic rings. I guess they are just lucky. Well in the NY, where all the famous first ghetto workouts are filmed, there seems to be also some playgrounds with pull up bars and parallel bars.

• 9 months later...
Guest SuperBru

I use to be impressed by calisthenics but ever since I have been watching gymnasts like Brandon Wynn, Yuri Van Gelder and Chen Yibing, on the rings, I have been amazed every time.

• 2 months later...
Patrick Patterson

ÐОLY ÐšÐ¯ÐР!

Begin rant:

Here in Turkey it's basically impossible to find any outdoor public chin up bars or parallel bars, although all parks now have these plastic "exercise" machines. A sad case of a lack of simple things instead of more flashy/prestigous looking crap. If they'd just install basic bar parks for adults imagine the effect it could have on kids (and adults) just seeing those things around.

I travel alot, all over the world, and have only found 2 hotels so far that simply had a usable bar for exercising in their exercise rooms (although they are always well stocked with treadmills, stair machines, curcuit weight machines, etc...).

Basically outside of my own home, I've not been able to find any place to really work out (okay generally going parkour or whatever and just climbing on jumping on stuff is one thing, but I'm talking about just a simple straight bar at a usable height). So annoying!

(end rant)

• Upvote 1

ÐОLY КЯÐР!

Begin rant:

Here in Turkey it's basically impossible to find any outdoor public chin up bars or parallel bars, although all parks now have these plastic "exercise" machines. A sad case of a lack of simple things instead of more flashy/prestigous looking crap. If they'd just install basic bar parks for adults imagine the effect it could have on kids (and adults) just seeing those things around.

I travel alot, all over the world, and have only found 2 hotels so far that simply had a usable bar for exercising in their exercise rooms (although they are always well stocked with treadmills, stair machines, curcuit weight machines, etc...).

Basically outside of my own home, I've not been able to find any place to really work out (okay generally going parkour or whatever and just climbing on jumping on stuff is one thing, but I'm talking about just a simple straight bar at a usable height). So annoying!

(end rant)

Too true, sadly...

I quietly wonder what's the price (in term of acute injuries) for the Gimbarr practice mistakes. Looks like much more hurt inviting thing than old school strength stuff.