Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope Climbing

Alessandro Mainente

do somebody have axperience with nylon rope?  the white one?  have you seen it?  they sell it here for boats..  and i dont know if this will be good for hands in long time..  

Connor Davies

do somebody have axperience with nylon rope?  the white one?  have you seen it?  they sell it here for boats..  and i dont know if this will be good for hands in long time..  

Don't use nylon, it's too slippery.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Joseph Carbone

I purchased a 12' x 1.5 manilla rope at www.mcmaster.com. The rope is reasonibly priced, wtih prompt shipping, and of very high quality.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Bryan Wheelock

What's the best material for and outside rope?

Polyplus, polypropylene or manilla?

I have a branch 16 ft from the ground. 

I weight 230lbs. 

Manilla is standard, but I'm concerned about catastrophic failure after a few years in the elements.

I've heard of that happening and it's not something I want to experience.

It seems to happen after about 4 years of exposure.

I don't know if that's something that would be obvious to a visual inspection and I would love to be informed.

Is it safer to have more strands?

I've heard polypropylene is slick and hard to climb, but the 8 strand looks interesting.

Perhaps chalk would make it easier to climb.

I like the idea of Pro manila, but I think it has the same slickness problems because it's still polypropylene.

I'll be ordering from knotandrope.com unless a polyplus rope is the best option.

PP ropes are definitely slippery. I've also got a very dense three strand nylon rope, and that to is too slippery to climb. I can wear semi dipped rubber gloves, and it sort of works but is not optimal.

My personal choice would be a sling and a climbing grade (UIAA) carabiner slung around the tree branch (not like a choker, this will kill the branch, a sling and biner around the stem, and 10-11 mm climbing approved (UIAA) rope with a biner at one end. You can buy this by the foot in climbing shops, so you won't have to buy an entire rope.

Thread the 11 mm rope through the biner at the branch, connect it to a manila climbing rope, and use the 11 mm line to hoist the manila rope into place. Use the carabiner and sling at the base at the tree to secure the 11 mm line. That should work fairly easily, and when not in use, you can just leave slings, biners and 11 mm rope in the tree, as they won't decay.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wheelock

Ravn, It seems you are suggesting to bring the rope inside after each use.

I'd rather mount something and just replace it every few years.

Also you said the PP ropes are too slick. 

Is the  PP rope you have polypropylene or poly-plus.

• 2 weeks later...
Bryan Wheelock

do you think manila is in video?  looks like is something synthetic..

The rope in this Cirque video looks like it could be polyplus or polypro. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/173-cirques-an-advanced-rope-climbing-variation/

I ended up purchasing a 20' polyplus dacron rope. It's much slicker than I remember the manila ropes being.

It was too slick at first so I roughed up the exterior a bit with 120-grit sandpaper. That seemed to help.

I did a few rope hangs, longest 2 handed hang was 12s. I was able to do 1 two-handed pullup.

It could be a while before I get the strength to hold onto the rope for 30s.

That made me sad because when I weighed 189lbs I could climb a 25 footer twice without touching the ground.

I'm glad I own the rope because now I can start working on the grip strength.

I can almost close a CoC #2, I guess I'll need to work up to the equivalent of a CoC 2.5.

I going to add 2 handed Rope Hangs on a 30s mastery schedule in addition to my Foundation work.

We'll see how it goes.

I open to any feedback on my approach.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

The rope in this Cirque video looks like it could be polyplus or polypro. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/173-cirques-an-advanced-rope-climbing-variation/

I ended up purchasing a 20' polyplus dacron rope. It's much slicker than I remember the manila ropes being.

It was too slick at first so I roughed up the exterior a bit with 120-grit sandpaper. That seemed to help.

I did a few rope hangs, longest 2 handed hang was 12s. I was able to do 1 two-handed pullup.

It could be a while before I get the strength to hold onto the rope for 30s.

That made me sad because when I weighed 189lbs I could climb a 25 footer twice without touching the ground.

I'm glad I own the rope because now I can start working on the grip strength.

I can almost close a CoC #2, I guess I'll need to work up to the equivalent of a CoC 2.5.

I going to add 2 handed Rope Hangs on a 30s mastery schedule in addition to my Foundation work.

We'll see how it goes.

I open to any feedback on my approach.

I don't think it'll hurt, but I don't think it's really necessary either. The FL and RC work in F1-3 will give you plenty of time to toughen up your grip, and the RC work in F4 before actual rope climbs will give you plenty of time on the rope to build more strength still. 

• 3 weeks later...
Connor Davies

What do you guys think of this rope?

Hemp is good rope, but it takes a lot of looking after to keep it in optimal condition.

It will weather, but it shouldn't be any worse than any other rope.