Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow Positioning in a Handstand

theshrink

First, I'd like to start by saying I finally got the book and it looks fantastic!

On to my question, when I do a handstand (and I may be overthinking this) do you rotate your shoulders in or out. When I rotate my shoulders out, it seems to rotate my elbows where they point behind me. This seems like the correct way. Or if I rotate my shoulders in my elbows seem to point sideways.

Can someone please let me know which way is correct?

Thanks!

Neither. Should be in between the two. My elbows are gonna point backwards and out at ~45 degrees when doing a handstand. Just focus on elevation of the scapulae.

If you were doing a skill out of it such as handstand pushup, it's best to have the elbows come in towards your body in which case your shoulders will automatically adjust.

This also depends upon the flexibility in your elbows.

Ideally, we want the " eye " of the elbow, the inner part where it folds in to point out. If you can get this to open out more to the front, your HS can be in a more stable position.

If your elbows have hyperflexion, this is easy. If they round in, you'll have to adjust your hand placement.