Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Russian Frontflip

Oldrich Polreich

Oldrich Polreich

Finally started working on them seriously. My goal for this move is to perform it similary to Vladimir Gogoladze:

http://i49.tinypic.com/33p3rwo.gif

(Of course i'm not expecting same height from grass).

http://youtu.be/TKXMOvaL-7w

This is sum of my best three attempts. First two are frontflips and third is kind of sideflip (more like frontflip 90) . I've been trying to maximize height and use of hands but this is the best i can do.

My problems:

• I don't know how to tuck in this position. I kinda bring legs closer to the body but it is very loose. Also, tucking kills my upward momentum instead of magnifiing it.
  • I lean forward during takeoff. No matter how hard i try, there is always some amount of lean, wich again results in bad height.

I will very much appreciate every suggestion or drill you think might help.

Thanks in advance

Joshua Slocum

It looks like you're having trouble with the set: you don't generate nearly as much height as you could. I'd recommend practicing just the set as part of your warmup for this skill: try to jump as high as possible, but swing your arms behind you as if you were going to do a russian flip.

In order to tuck in this position, wait until after your set, and then simply bring your arms up behind your thighs and pull them in to your chest. In order to get height and also tuck, you have to let yourself complete the set before tucking. If you're not getting enough height, try tucking a little later. It may feel a little unnerving at first, but if you want height it is imperative to complete the jump before you bring your

This is a video of a russian tuck being performed from a stand:

I could likely have gone even higher if I had waited another split second before tucking: you can see that I start to drop my chest before the set is complete.

Never thought about trying a standing front with a russian lift. Hmm.

Oldrich, you need to compress your tuck way better or pike.

When tucking, try entering the front like a layout initiating tight arch then balling up.

Oldrich Polreich

jfslocum: I was suspecting something like that, thanks. This is the problem with my freerunning background and my fear. I learned most of the acrobatic elements outside wich resulted in kind of a "land it somehow" mentality. And old habbits die hard :(

Blairbob: If i understand that correctly, i need to jump up, extend to an arch (with open chest?) and initiate rotation by driving heels back? And than tuck.

Thanks both of you! I will try to apply your suggestions in today's gym session and post another video.

• 4 weeks later...
Oldrich Polreich

Yaad: I believe that it largely depends on person and your goals. For me, it is a bit easier, but my standart front tuck is not very good. But doing standing russians is much harder than standart frontflip. Also, it seems that you can generate more height with a proper russian lift. My friend tried it once in gym and he jumped ridiculously high with it, it is all about the setup and shoulders according to him.

I made a little progress with this skill. Practicing setup and tight arch really helped.