Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wod/static Training Time

Sven Ravnstag

Sven Ravnstag

Is there a general heuristic for how long the average WOD or static position training session should last? I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?

Craig Rackemann

Do you work all sets of the same static hold before moving to the next static hold?

I like to work my statics in pairs with a smaller rest time between each. That way I effectively double the amount of rest between sets of the same static hold but it keeps the total time taken down to a minimum.

Same as ^. I do hip flexor drills, assorted pushups, 30-40 sec Lsit/Straddle L/Pl lean, and then alternate FL and PL sets, *very* little slack time between sets. Done in 10-15 minutes at the most on waking up, then a cup of tea or coffee before WoD.

Generally the WoD rest times are prescribed; I found they took longer at first. They get shorter as you get better at scaling etc, its rare now for me to train longer than an hour at a bash including FSPs. Things like HSPU ladders while adjusting to elevated HeSPus though, they take forever >.< Hold faith and push yourself to step up at the appropriate time :)

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the replies.

Originally I did circuits of all five basic static positions, then I switched to doing all sets of one position before moving to the next. I think I'll try the two at a time idea and see how that goes. Maybe FL/L-Sit, Straddle-L/Planche, then BL on their own as I usually speed through those.

I'm going to see what happens as I compress the rest a bit as well. For starters I think I'll rest no longer than I work, so 10sec rest between sets at most.

Sven Ravnstag

Yes; that's what I thought was suggested in BTGB (4 times/week). I do the basic 5 fundamental statics before my WODs 4 times/week, and u I practice manna 1-2 times/week for 10 minute blocks, along with handstands (free) and PL leans on rings.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear! I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?I'm starting to think that I'm resting a bit too much between static sets because I treat them as a skill and want each set to feel strong. Should I compress the rest intervals a bit (to say 10-15sec to have a drink of water and shake it out) or is it better to take one's time?

the 5 skill circuits just suck. BTDT. I know you want to be time efficient but I'd circuit the basic 3 (levers and planche). pair HS or L's or do them in sequence.

I found you could do 3, but that was about as many as I'd want to do. The big 3 are taxing enough as it is without adding easier ones that just tax you more.

Jonathan Epstein

the 5 skill circuits just suck. BTDT. I know you want to be time efficient but I'd circuit the basic 3 (levers and planche). pair HS or L's or do them in sequence.

I found you could do 3, but that was about as many as I'd want to do. The big 3 are taxing enough as it is without adding easier ones that just tax you more.

Are you saying do only the basic 3 per workout and HS and L's on another workout or just cycle through the basic 3 and pair HS and L's before the basic 3?