Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Line Training

Azure

So I've been working on my handstand line recently and as a result I've had to take a MASSIVE step back. Now my handstand before wasn't this huge arched shoulder closed handstand but I decided to strive for perfection. The very slight change in forcing my shoulders more open has led to a ton of frustration. Before I could hold my handstand for 30 seconds with a 9/10 consistency. Now I am down to 10 seconds and I am lucky if I hit it 5/10 times :cry: Is it normal to have such a huge set back?

On the other hand the few times when I do hit my handstands with a good line the balance is amazing, I don't have to make nearly as many correction as I did when I held my 30 second handstand. Also my lower traps have been getting quite a workout from this.

Archbishop o balance

That's completely normal. You're having to learn to balance using different muscles than you were before. Just keep working at it with a focus on improving your line and it, along with your balance will improve.

yuri marmerstein

When trying new techniques your body is going try to fight to go back doing what it is already used to doing.

Taking a step back like this can be a shot to the ego, but is very helpful in the long run. The earlier you can fix your bad habits the less work it's going to take.

Keep on with what you are doing

I had the same experience both with handstand and press to handstand. You´ll be happy that you made that change in the future.

One day when you want to get into more advanced skills you wont be able to progress without the proper line and tightness of the body.

Feeling the handstand in the traps is a good thing!

yuri marmerstein

It's weird, I never feel HS in my traps.

Even doing block stacking or endurance sets I feel it in my delts

So my question is, i have very tight shoulders in terms of overhead range both active and passive I believe and therefor my line is poor.

So, should i keep working on free balancing in my current best position whilst sorting out my line and have to relearn balance in the better position later?

OR

Should i focus on improving my shoulders and fixing my line to avoid having to relearn too much?

I imagine the former as the balance is surely transferable and valuable.

• 2 weeks later...